Grafting wiper controls

ejparrott

Has anyone previously successfully grafted a 90/110 washer/wiper relay to a Series 3?

After playing around with the 110 the other week, I've been thinking about it. My guess is, not having looked at the diagram yet, that the relay has a live feed for the intermittent part of it. The washer side of it I think would be quite easy, taking the feed from the back of the washer switch which is there anyway. I was thinking of installing an extra switch to do the intermittent, and retaining the original for ordinary and fast wipe.

It can be done but you need another 2nd relay as well as the intermittent one. If you are ok with electrics, PM me your email address and i'll dig out the circuit diagram from when i did mine 15 years ago..I think I swapped the original wiper switch to a fan one to give 2 ONs, the first is int , 2nd is normal speed ( I only have single speed wipers). Another push putton for squirt.. :rolleyes:

Thanks Simon, PM sent

Not sure about that Nick, when you say it took a couple of goes, you mean to commision or every time you use it?

Looking at the two wiring diagrams there's quite a bit common. Seems the relay does have a live feed whcih should be easy enough as it goes via the switch anyway. The washer feed is even the same colour wire, and there's two other common colours too.

The smart screen was easy to fit. It just needs a couple of momentum activations of the original switch and repeats the interval until you make a single activation, but it sometimes doesn't see to read a switch movement, needing another go. It might be due to the same earthing fault that has been causing my dash lights to make the temp/fuel gauges over read.

That's my point - the way all this is heading is to replicate the complete Defender setup anyway, so you're better off putting in everything as-per a Defender and just feeding it +12v and ground than frigging the wiring around, adding relays, special boxes, etc. to achieve the same thing but uglier and non-standard. In 2 years' time when it goes wrong, which would you rather troubleshoot?

hmm..good point, will think about it. Not much worried for The 109, thats not any attempt at any kind of restoration, the 88 on the other hand is supposed to staying visually original.

Will ponder while my machines going round.....

I've done what JU says. Fit standard defender column switches, and the standard defender red wiper relay/delay unit. I then wired it up per the defender, and I even used the same color wires as the defender uses. Job done. Gives me intermittent, and also the nice 5 (or however many it is cant remember) wipes automatically when you squirt the washers.

Jon

Does it also provide the wash/wipe function, like a later 110, or a modern eurobox even?

They do several versions to cater for negative ad positive earths and also with just a simple intermittent function or to also have three automatic sweeps when the washer us used. It just splices into the low speed wire from switch to motor, with a spliced input feed from the washer wire if you chose that option, and a simple permanent live feed and earth. No extra switches and ten minutes to fit, easily installed inside the instrument binnacle.