Mini Tech - Rear 90 Lights Modification

On the 90 I have the standard position of lights.

Bottom (Indicator one) gets bashed very very easily, if not just squished dead,

hot from exhaust and also full of water and mud. In fact its been a pain

ever since I have had it.

So, thanks to an suggestion from Jon White .

Take a rear 90 tub, std apart from the bottom units

post-22-0-29006900-1358183832_thumb.jpg

Then find a pair of Series 2 or 3 Cappings

post-22-0-10151300-1358183861_thumb.jpgpost-22-0-16428000-1358184040_thumb.jpgpost-22-0-55935500-1358184063_thumb.jpg

Trim lengths & Enlarge the holes to take a 44mm Hole saw, and drill out, also I am fitting the

later and far superior plug in 300 Type lights and wires. The wires even have bullets

on the end so its an easy change over both Braqke and indicator are now top side of the wheel box top :)

New holes are far bigger.

Then coat of paint, fit back on 90, the rivet holes are completely different,so drill though

plus an extta one at the base where thrimmed off TIG up the old indicator hole (in my case)

where it used to be paint everything. Move Number plate and Plate light connect wires

post-22-0-68081400-1358183998_thumb.jpg

Job Done, simple cheap, easy and hopefully should help a lot !

Hope it might be of interest to others

Nige

Very Giggedy Nige! I was also planning on doing the same, only possibly with LED NAS lights for that full bling.

IIRC LR changed the two stacked lights layout to the Defender one so that the rear light could still be seen with the rear door open – but I might be wrong on this one, am sure a grown-up will correct me if so.

All I need to do is find a TIGist to weld up the hole. Speaking of which, did you weld up the capping or did you go for full belt+braces and weld up the hole in’t tub?

Ahaha !!

Nice idea, so, just the 1 x fog light to fill up n go crusty !

Nige

Well 2 x fogs actually! Nice and symetrical! I'll be making sure that they're well sealed and I've done a wiring mod too!

All I need to do is find a TIGist to weld up the hole. Speaking of which, did you weld up the capping or did you go for full belt+braces and weld up the hole in’t tub?

If you're refering to mine, I just welded the capping up and I'll probably seal it to the tub when I rivet it on.

Steve

If you're refering to mine, I just welded the capping up and I'll probably seal it to the tub when I rivet it on.

Steve

Thanks Steve! Actually, was asking Nige but your answer is good too ;-) Just realised that one probably doesn’t need to do any more than that as the hole left by the light is underneath the seatbox so will be open the elements anyway….

Incidentally, I reckon a few of us following your build have missed out on pics ‘cos you post more on Innovate – but they want you to have made umpteen posts before you can see your thread/pics.

I know over Christmas that I couldn't post any pictures (about 3 posts), but I have gone back and re added the three posts afterwards but with pictures added.

So now it looks like there's no pictures, but if you keep reading you'll see that it repeats threee posts, but they have pictures in.

Let me know if there are any bits you would like pictures of and I'll add some.

I've tried to add the same pictures on here as Innovate.

Steve

Are they the same hamburger lights you had in your blue 90 Steve? With the same plexi windows?

RE. Nige's light mod, I certainly like that idea. If you wanted to go even further you could bin the reversing light altogether. Not sure whether you can legally do that with the rear fog though :(

Edit: It seems that fog lights are compulsory for vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1980, so that one wouldn't fly.

The lights I have on the Blue one have suffered badly (mainly the passenger one) with water ingress and the LED's are slowly diminishing. Hence I had to re instate a standard side light as the MOT man said that my side light was less that 50% illuminated!

The new ones are IP67 rated so hopefully no water ingress and from close inspection they have surface mount LED's (tiny square ones) which is just and observation.

And I made new perspex windows.

Steve

I looked into doing this on mine, unfortunatly the rear stays for the cage would stop them fitting.

so they are where they are, in fitting though they have had a liberal spray of silicoln grease in both male and female connectors, inside the lamp holder itself and on both sides on the foam gasket on the lamp holder to lense :rolleyes:

We will see if that works :lol: