Adapting a gearbox for my project

jad

Hi everyone

My current project (here http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=77208&page=1) has a Short R380 in it. I now thinking the layshaft bearings in my lt77 are on the way out since its noisy in all gears apart from 4th. I would therefore like to use the short R380 in my defender rather than my project.

I then bought a disco 2 L suffix R380 gearbox without a bell housing. My intention was to use a 300 tdi bell housing with it as my adaptor plate which I designed and had made is the correct bolt pattern for a tdi bell housing. Unfortunately I found out with the 300tdi bell housing the clutch slave cylinder sits higher and unfortunately in the way of the exhaust manifold....

I therefore need to use either an LT77 bell housing or short R380 bell housing to keep the clutch slave cylinder in the same place. As the input shaft is longer on the V8 R380 I obviously just cant bolt one on and use it. My idea was to put a spacer approximately 11 cm deep (to make up the different length in 300tdi and defender lt77 bell housing) in between the disco r380 and a defender LT77 bell housing. My thinking is that this would then put all the clutch parts the correct distance from the flywheel and still work fine! Does this make sense?

A couple of things i want to check.... Am I correct in thinking that the r380 and lt77 bellhousings can be bolted to each other (same bolt pattern the gearbox end) even if the input shafts are incorrect lengths.

Are the 300tdi and disco 2 V8 bell housings the same length? I believe they are....

I know it will put my gear sticks further back but i have calculated they will come up in the seat box middle panel which is not a problem for me.

I think that is about it but will add any more if I remember.

Cheers

Jad

Hope you love my mad paint skills.... This is my idea essentially. The red box is the adaptor. Basically to make the adaptor and defender lt77 bell housing the same length as the R380 V8 bell housing so the right length for the input shaft... Since the clutch fork pivots around something in the bell housing then all the clutch parts should still sit as per normal in it....

post-19190-0-40302200-1358194384_thumb.jpg

Anyone agree? or am I a little crazy/barking up the wrong tree?....

cheers

Jad

Hmm Im not sure if I can cure this problem with a simple bell housing swap... I wanted to use an L suffix v8 box so I have the possibility of upgrading to the quaife r380 kit in the future. I just dont want to pay for it...

I was thinking of asking if u could make something else for me VB... :)

It would look a little like this....

post-19190-0-79852000-1358283973_thumb.jpg

Jad

Mike

I did just read they are roughly the same length. The clutch slave cylinder is on the right hand size but I dont know what level it sits at compared to the 300. I have a bell housing at my parents so will have a look when im home.

Cheers

Jad

Hmm Im not sure if I can cure this problem with a simple bell housing swap... I wanted to use an L suffix v8 box so I have the possibility of upgrading to the quaife r380 kit in the future. I just dont want to pay for it...

I was thinking of asking if u could make something else for me VB... :)

It would look a little like this....

Spacer.JPG

Jad

You got some rough sizes there James? Length, Width and Height and what sort of rads you looking at in the corners for cutter size?

This is just something i knocked up quickly today. I would need to check a fair few bits before having anything made.

I think it would need to be about 135mm deep. stumpy bell housing is about 110mm deep, therefore def lt77 is about 135/140mm deep I think the R380 V8 bell housing is around 275 deep??? I obviously would need to confirm these measurements more accurately first!

These are most of the dims.

post-19190-0-24382400-1358289278_thumb.jpg

It doesnt have to be shaped nicely. As long as it works it could always be a rectangular in shape. The centre also doesnt have to be machined out completely as long as there is enough room for the input shaft to go through and enough clearance for the plate that sets the pre load on the input shaft bearing.

The cross in the middle of this should denote the input shaft location

Cheers

Jad

Thanks VB

The block doesnt have to be nicely machined. The main bits it would need are the faces to be parallel and the holes in the correct location. If they are correct it wouldnt matter how butchered the rest of it is assuming its strong enough and clears everything else...

Cheers

Jad

Jad just tested it, a stock lt77 bellhousing from a 4cycl defender goes straight onto an r380 disco mpi (early suffix, cant remebr which) box in the garage.

I think your along the right lines with the adapter, i'd do the same.

Gear lever wise, theres a few people making adapters to convert disco to defender shifter mech.

http://www.landyzone.co.uk/lz/f7/whats-differende-between-defender-r380-gearbox-disco-one-137436-2.html

hth

Thank Meccano

Im looking to use the L suffix box specifically unfortunately. Also need to either use a complete defender gearbox set up or complete disco set up. Defender set up brings the gear sticks up in front of my seat box and the disco should.... make them come up out of the centre panel. Nice to here the one bell housing fits on the other gearbox though!

Cheers

Jad

Thanks VB

The block doesnt have to be nicely machined. The main bits it would need are the faces to be parallel and the holes in the correct location. If they are correct it wouldnt matter how butchered the rest of it is assuming its strong enough and clears everything else...

Cheers

Jad

Come on then get your drawing upto scratch and i'll mash something out of ali for you James.

If you can email a drawing over when your happy with it i'll sort a price out for it.

That's what I like to hear :)

Of course I need to make sure I get my money back or my gearbox first.... If I get my money back I know where another gearbox is at the moment... that is until its sold...

Does anyone know the exact length of an R380 V8 bell housing? and the defender LT77 bell housing? and for the LT77 that will have to be the mounting face not the end of the lip that fits in the flywheel housing!

Cheers

Jad