fitting a p38 4.0l v8 engine into my disco 1 v8.

airbornemedic23

I want to fit a p38 engine(very low mileage) into my discovery 1 whose 3.9 v8 has done 180k now and is getting tired!

What I need help with is the damn ecu! The p38 has an alarm/immobiliser in the ecu plus the central locking is all linked into the bcm/ecu? Is there a way to basically fit this engine and wiring loom/ecu from the p38 and bypass all the carp I dont need- like aforementioned immob etc?

Would I need a custom ecu? Who could rewire this and make it happen!?! Is there one already made, has anyone done this conversion?

And before everyone shouts at the newbie "diesel conversion idiot not v8!!!!" my disco was a press launch vehicle and therefore should remain a v8!

If anyone can help...please do!

Im near Sheffield area.

Just a thought but is it practical to modify a GEMS engine back to being a 14CUX injection system? The later Thor engines are quite a lot different, but it might be possible to use the basic engine mechanicals from the new one and retro fit all the old EFI and ignition etc

yes well someone else said, use my dizzy etc and replace coils n so on from the p38 engine! but i want to replace the whole package. it must have been done? surely there must be a piggyback system i can just plug in and voila, my engine works etcetc!!!! its such a strong engine, and would be worth it-in my eyes anyway, i know people are telling me to just do a 300tdi conversion. but i need to keep a v8 in her. so please help me!i need to find a way to put the whole p38 thor engine into my baby and it work.

You have plenty of options:

- Swap the ancillaries / front cover / inlet manifold from your old lump across, your ECU and everything else is none the wiser as it's basically the same block.

- Swap in the complete Disco/P38 setup and frig it / bu&&er about

- Take the opportunity to go Megasquirt, re-use your existing Hotwire loom but lose about half the wires.

You'd struggle to fit your dizzy, the P38 unit comes without one, no hole, and no gear on the end of the cam, then you are into swapping cams as well as the covers/ancillaries.... and much complicatedness. By the time you have finished you will have ripped your perfectly good engine to pieces.

Just Megasquirt it and be done with it.

My disco runs a Gems 4.6V8 out of a P38 which is very similar to your 4.0V8.

I got an ECU from RPI, the Mak Adam's ECU. it's basically the same GEMS ECU on which they do their magic and make it work without the need of the other ECUs.

I can't complain with mine, it just works well with plenty of power.

bob