Fuel Consumption

ltwt1981

My 1994 300 tdi manual does pretty well i reckon on fuel, especially living in the rural areas :)

Decat, egr removed, silicone hoses, safari snorkel, cooper discoverer st's,176k on the clock

average weekly mpg is ~28 mpg, usually around 200 miles per week, mainly town driving (daily commute), B roads, and lots of little back roads at the weekend, most of which are 3rd/4th gear, with a fair few hills in 2nd gear for half mile or so :) - so i'm well happy with that.

on our hols to Scotland last year, we managed to get from Aberdeen to home on a single tank of juice (IIRC was about £75 worth @ last Augusts prices) which i thin averaged 37 ish mpg.

when i first got it last year i drove it sensibly to cricket st thomas and back and managed 44 mpg :) :)

Hi

I have a 96 300tdi Auto. Best achieved consumption 28mpg. Good run 25 mpg, average 22 mpg with around town but towing 1800 kg caravan with six people I get 20mpg. These figures are not hanging about as my biggest complaint is lack of performance. My friend with similar vehicle gets about 3 mpg more than me so these are probably worst case figures. I still get better than a friend with similar age Shogun auto so I'm happy

Just as a comparison:

Td5, Manual, AT tyres (30psi front, 40psi rear). Owned from new (since 2002), now 164000 miles. No modifications. Well serviced.

Averaged over 128 tanks (no I don't record every single tankful).

31.02 mpg

Gets 33-34 on a run, 28-29 when a tank includes lots of towing or a bit of offroading.

Notice MPG slightly better in summer than winter.

Every year I change the engine oil in my Landy, the wife's car, and my motorbike (and lawn mower!). That gives me 20 litres of used engine oil per year. I filter the oil in a filter bag (to filter any carp and stop the Landy blocking it's fuel filter), and add 1 litre per tank to the Landy when I fill up. Runs smoother and saves £1.20 per tank (and saves me the trip to the recycling centre) ;):rolleyes: