Advice on 'ticking' clutch...

Phil

For some time I've noticed a quite load, rapid and annoying ticking noise from the bulkhead/dashboard/transmission tunnel when the engine's under some load at revs over whatever it takes to do 60mph in 5th gear. The noise is a bit like the sound you get putting a playing card through the spokes of a bike wheel, and the speed of the ticking is constant.

I've discovered the noise goes away if I press the clutch pedal just to the point where it starts to move the clutch. Obviously I can't drive round like that, so where should I look for the source of the noise?

Thanks in advance,

Phil.

Reiny, I think I'll go bang if I have to listen to it much longer! Ralph, thanks for your suggestion, I hadn't thought of the release bearing. I'm struggling to grasp how it would make that noise in those driving conditions. Is there any way of checking it without dismantling the car?

Phil.

I thought that might be the case!

What other symptoms could I look for that would confirm it's the bearing? Also, is there any part of the hydraulic linkage that's prone to rattling (ever hopeful!)?

Thanks again,

Phil.