Straightening bent bumper...

A Twig

Had a small argument with an icy corner and a low wall this morning which bashed up one side of the bumper and totalled the passenger wing. I can swap a wing, however, cash is tight this time of year so I'd like to keep the bumper for a few months.. I've looked on here, and a few people recommend just tying a rope around a stout tree and reversing.

Living in a city centre there is a shortage of such. Any other methods people can suggest? I don't have a welder, and the bumper is galv, so cutting and welding is out. I have an old identical bumper in similar state, so could cut out plates and drill/bolt instead of welding? Is hammering it feasible?

I'm not too worried about the cosmetics of the final job, just want a reasonably straight bumper so I can drive around :)

So, thoughts? Suggestions? :)

If you have a high lift you should be able to straighten it depends how badly and where it is bent? if you are taking the wing off then heating the crease with a blow torch and then adjusting with a BFH should work.

Jason.

I've bent the ends of my standard bumper back into the wing on play days before- a sledge/lump hammer usually sorts it out but it can also be achieved with a smaller hammer and some heat.

Chances are if it is badly bent, then you will have cracked the galvanising already.

I normally use a piece of stout street furniture and a tow strap, but you could put a recovery strap round the bumper and attach it to someones recovery point and gently reverse it out. Engage brains before doing this or you may be straightening out more than a bumper :)

Right! Success! :) A bit of grunting with a metal bar got the bumper near enough, then some rachet straps slung around a lamp post pulled the body work out to "straightish" so I have a complete driveable Landy again! With lots of "character" :)

I love Series/Defenders, I can't think of many other vehicles that could drive into a wall on one day, and with 2 hours manual labour be fit to drive again!

I did get some funny looks and questions from the other people on the street, one chap thought I was "tying the landy to a lamp post as I didn't trust the handbrake"...

I did get some funny looks and questions from the other people on the street, one chap thought I was "tying the landy to a lamp post as I didn't trust the handbrake"...

Strange idea .... if I didn't trust the handbrake I'd have left it in gear .... around here some bugger would nick the ratchet strap :P

"tying the landy to a lamp post as I didn't trust the handbrake"...

Great Idea -

BTW have used the strop round telegraph pole more than once - with great sucess, Reverse LOW Box for the 'Quick and Dirty' fix, and a Tirfor or Lever hoist for the more 'sophisticated' re-alighinment