Can't Disarm The Immobiliser...

Paddy_SP

My D1 is currently sitting on a mate's drive as it is refusing to disarm the immobiliser. The red key symbol is illuminated, so I'm assuming that it's not spider-related. I've tried fitting a new battery to the fob, disconnecting the vehicle's battery, and everything else I can think of. But it still won't bloody well disarm. I've never had this problem before. The worst part of it was that I had to borrow his wife's Jimny to get home - oh, the shame...

So - any ideas, Chaps?

Depends on what disco u have, a 200 series or early 300 series with active single button immobilising system or the later 300 series with passive immobilising which can be remobilised by just pressing the unlock button (when inside) on the twin button fob.

Depends on what disco u have, a 200 series or early 300 series with active single button immobilising system or the later 300 series with passive immobilising which can be remobilised by just pressing the unlock button (when inside) on the twin button fob.

D'oh - I forgot to say that it was a two-button 300Tdi. Sadly, pressing the unlock button does nothing.

no probs, is the fob locking and unlocking ok

No - it does nothing. Strangely, the fob for my electric gates wouldn't work on the way out - and they are, I believe, on the same frequency. When I came back in the Jimny, they worked fine, so I can only assume there's some kind of problem and the fob is transmitting constantly.

A fob problem maybe if u can lock ok with the key, u may alread know but after replacing the fob battery it requires the lock button pressing 4 times.

If it's the fob it has been known for the battery contacts to come loose from the fobs pcb so a little soldering job otherwise a replacement from Remote key.

A fob problem maybe if u can lock ok with the key, u may alread know but after replacing the fob battery it requires the lock button pressing 4 times.

I can lock and unlock it with the key, but I didn't know that you had to press the lock button 4 times after replacing the battery, so thanks for that info!

Hi "Teabag" thanks for the above info I was having problems with my Disco after having the main battery off the car. I wonder if you can answer a question for me regarding the security code card that would have come with the Disco when new, on pages 13 & 14 of the hand book it says about entering the security code to disarm the immobiliser do you know if it's possible to get this code from the main dealer using the vehicle reg number or VIN number, as I don't have the security code card mentioned in the hand book, hell I don't even have a handbook I have to read it on the RAVE cd I have LOL.

Many Thanks

Jim

PS 300TDi Disco 1995 N reg

Hi "Teabag" thanks for the above info I was having problems with my Disco after having the main battery off the car. I wonder if you can answer a question for me regarding the security code card that would have come with the Disco when new, on pages 13 & 14 of the hand book it says about entering the security code to disarm the immobiliser do you know if it's possible to get this code from the main dealer using the vehicle reg number or VIN number, as I don't have the security code card mentioned in the hand book, hell I don't even have a handbook I have to read it on the RAVE cd I have LOL.

Many Thanks

Jim

PS 300TDi Disco 1995 N reg

Yes a Main LR dealer service dept should be able to help assuming you disco is UK spec. VIN and perhaps your I'D & Reg. I know from the forums some don't even ask for that :)

smileys are back :D

Just in case you didn't know, but i'm sure u do... the access code is required only on the passive immobilising two button fob system introduced on the 1996MY disco. Before that the single system is set either via the fob or a key in the drivers door lock.

Just a quick thought..... I appreciate this is a Disco and it probably is the fob......

But just in case, I will mention that I had a similar problem on my 1998 Defender with factory fitted immobiliser away from home one dark night. I called the RAC and he found a poor earth on one of the immobiliser wires.

It's not been unknown for rouge electronics (door openers etc.) to transmit on the wrong frequencies and block car alarm fobs from working. Often it just involves a quick tow down the road, and by the time you get back the offending electronics have either moved, or changed state/frequency and are no longer problematic. Strange but true.