Non starter. 1.8K Series

krisd76

Hi Guys,

Really could do with some help here please.

Story:

Got up to go to work, left interior lights on all night, flat battery, used my other car to jump start the Freelander.

Freelander started, then cut straight out, tried again, did the same, tried again, but gave a bit more throttle for a few seconds, then it held it's own on tickover. Noticed back window down, common problem i've read, I'll sort it when I get to work.

Drove 45 miles to work, after 30ish miles. Hill Decent and TC light came on the dash, no performance difference. Got to work, parked up. An hour later, went and tried to re callibrate the rear window. No joy, tried a few times.

Read that you could 'cycle test' by holding fog switch down, and turn ignition on/off. No joy.

Not to flatten the battery, tried to start the engine, turned over, fired, revved to about 2000, died. tried again, this time, turning over, but no fire.

Every now and then, the engine will fire up, but then die, as if you turn edthe ignition off. But all the lights stay on the dash

Called RAC, the guy spent an hour checking everything he could think off, no joy. No codes, nothing.

Got car recovered back home, done some tests:

Fuel cut off switch checked and bypassed

Fuel pump running and delivering fuel to the throttle housing

Plugs sparking.

Coils swapped

Cam sensor swapped

Crank sensor giving reading (info via RAC man)

Engine runs with easy start, then dies when Easy Starts removed.

I can only think now that somehow I have reset the mapping or ECU somehow.

Any Ideas what may have happened here, I have absolutly no ideas left to try.

Many thanks in advance

1.8k Series 2004 Freelander

Edited by krisd76

Have had similar problems in the same with a failing fuel pump, have you checked the fuel pressure? Maybe just enough to start it but not enough to keep it running. May also be wiring problem with Idle control valve.

Mark.

Funny you should mention that, My job for tonight was to swap the fuel pressure/ damper valve. I would make sense that, while stood, the injectors would fill, but then there wouldn't be enough pressure to fill them quick enough.

I will keep you posted

Maybe the battery going flat scenario has nothing to do with the fault, just coinsidence.

Have had similar problems in the same with a failing fuel pump, have you checked the fuel pressure? Maybe just enough to start it but not enough to keep it running. May also be wiring problem with Idle control valve.

Mark.

I have just read your adventures regarding the pressure/ fuel pump. I was thinking the damper was the regulator.

Looks like i'm gonna have to bight the bullet and buy a complete fuel pump. @rse.

• 8 years later...