Lets say just because you could which gear box to mate to a 200Tdi

Lets say just because you could which gear box to mate to a 200Tdi

Let me explane a little I may have the time and money next year 2014 to rebuild my 200Tdi 90 van

So as I have already rebuilt the front and rear axles (including Ashcroft lockers) and the transfer box has been serviced the engine has had a new cam belt this year.

The gear box is a LT77 and I am wondering if given the chance would it be a worth while task to swop the gear box when I have the 90 stripped down to galv the chassie, I am looking to keep the 200Tdi as it is ok and nice and simple as well as being one of the better engines to have.

Is the R380 or the Santana LT85 or the MT82 the gear box of choice

details of these are to be found here http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=4

Although I said just because you could it also needs to be value for money and not cost too much so Quafe competition sequential dog boxes are off the shopping list (not off the wish list) It wold be good it the gear leavers stayed in the right place with out moving the engine forwards don't think it would go back any more as it looks like it's close to the bulkhead anyway.

I haven't managed to break an LT77 yet, am I doing something wrong?? TDi's aren't exactly mind blowing in terms of power, i don't see why you would need to change unless you drive unsympatheticaly, but if someone gave me an R380 I guess I'd do the swap.

But if you are an unsympathetic driver, then maybe weigh up the cost of a replacement LT77 which can be had for peanuts against an R380..

Nice agricultural old school LT77. It's a perfectly good gearbox and is the original gearboxfor your 90, if yours is still good it would be hard to justify the extra expense against a slightly better gearchange. Personally if the original was knackered, I'd get another from Mr. Ashcroft.

Mo

My lt77 is fine. I don't think I would bother spending money upgrading it, as I can't imagine anything else would be that much better to justify it. If I could, I guess it would be nice to get an lt77 with the ability to plumb in an oil cooler if required.

If your prepared to spend the money on the short r380 then take the plunge....but if you're spending that much money surely you can find a 300tdi with box. Better Engine...Yeah i know its the auto box too...but gives you a rough idea.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Landrover-Defender-Discovery-300-Tdi-Engine-And-Auto-Gearbox-/321057795913?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4ac0892f49

If your prepared to spend the money on the short r380 then take the plunge....but if you're spending that much money surely you can find a 300tdi with box. Better Engine...Yeah i know its the auto box too...but gives you a rough idea.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Landrover-Defender-Discovery-300-Tdi-Engine-And-Auto-Gearbox-/321057795913?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4ac0892f49

Autobox is a good choice , overcomes the lack of torque off boost real happy with mine in the 90

Autobox is a good choice , overcomes the lack of torque off boost real happy with mine in the 90

Auto's are really nice.

But if you're on a galv chassis i'm not sure if you'd be happy cutting off engine mounts and moving things around ?

Gordon

More power? Quieter? Smoother? Need I say more. I've ran 200tdi defender and 300tdi discovery.....and a 110 td5. 300tdi was the most pleasureable of all three...

I wouldnt call 4bhp more power, i find my 200 alot more eager than any 300tdi i've driven and i find the 300's as unrefind as my 200.

Auto's are really nice.But if you're on a galv chassis i'm not sure if you'd be happy cutting off engine mounts and moving things around ?

I am not using a galv chassis just yet, I will have the existing one galvanised next year as I need to save up to get it done and it's all the other little bits that you just have to replace,

cos it's only a few pounds extra and it soon adds up I have built a Westfield 7 before with 255bhp and weighing in at 550kgs so know how out of hand the wish list can become that had a sequential dog box.,

So cutting and welding a new mount on is not that big a problem I would just need to do it and then run it for a while to prove it all work as it should then strip the body etc off for galvanising.

The cost of the conversion bits for a LT77 to R380 is around £400/£450 from Ashcrofts then find a gear box or pay Ashcrofts £995+vat for an outright gearbox and bell housing ready to fit.

There is supposedly no difference in output between the Discovery/RRC version of the 200 and the 300, and only a small degradation of the Def version of the 200, presumably something to do with the manifolds and turbo configuration. The 300 is smoother and quieter, though. It also has a crank driven oil pump that is regarded as far superior, and has the benefit of preventing bearing seizure should you have a timing belt failure, unlike the cam shaft driven 200 pump. That must have saved quite a few crank and cam shafts in the early days where the timing pulleys chewed up the belts. However, it is much more prone to warping or cracking heads if over heated, but at least you can still buy new heads - the more robust 200 heads have been unavailable for quite some time and even the reconditioners won't hold stock, needing your own to rebuild.

Personally, as someone with one of each engine, I don't see the point in changing unless the 200 needs a lot of expensive work.

My RRC has an R380, which is a nice box, but has one design flaw - they suffer premature wear on the second gear baulk ring, so changing up from 1st to 2nd will crunch if you don't momentarily pause in neutral. It's based on the LT77 and I believe it has the same gear ratios and larger bearings of the LT77S, which is what our Tdi should have (the old 77 units were used behind 12J and 19J engines, I believe). Again, there's little point in changing unless yours is faulty. I think that you would be able to retain your existing tunnel and trim, though - the change in the cabin of the 300Tdi vehicles was probably because the engine and transmission moved (the engine went well forward as they used the standard long bell housing).

More power? Quieter? Smoother? Need I say more. I've ran 200tdi defender and 300tdi discovery.....and a 110 td5. 300tdi was the most pleasureable of all three...

That's because Discoverys are much easier and more comfortable to drive, not because of the engine.