sankey narrow track, ball and pin hitch

Hi guys,

currently bidding on a sankey narrow track, and from the freelander forum, but i have a ball and pin hitch, which fits standard agricultural hitches in, with ease, can any one tell me if a snakey narrow tract hitch is similar only want to tow it twenty miles to home so it can go in the workshop for some work. but don't want to jump into buying a nato hitch until i get a reciever hitch. So main question is will the snakey narrow track fit in my ball and pin hitch?

many thanks theoptimist

bol**ks how thick is the the ring hitch?, i might be able to bodge something to take it as receiver hitch wont be here for a month, and if i win will be picking up sunday. or before, i only have to 20 miles, so a bodge will do if i keep my speed down

many thanks the optimist

you can tow if you get one of these pin/ball hitches http://www.rapidonline.com/tools-equipment/tow-ball-pin-coupling-50mm-303434/

the normal pinball hitch won't take a NATO ring because the pin mouth tapers, whereas the linked one above is parallel

We used to sell something that looked like that at work and it didn't fit a NATO ring either. Not many things do, the old style Genuine galvanised jaw and pin hitches will do if you can still find one, very clonky but usable. NATO is a 76mm eye.

Whatever you use you have to be really careful the eye doesn't lock in the jaw when reversing as it will bend everything! It even happens with a proper NATO jaw, been there done that.

Please don't do a lash up job. I know it's a single and relatively short journey, and that you'll keep the speed down, but a hitch failure could still easily kill someone if it hits them or causes them to swerve to avoid the trailer. It sounds like you have a better plan now, anyway, but no driver should ever consider risking driving an unroadworthy vehicle just because of the inconvenience of waiting for delivery of the correct parts - much better to delay the collection of the trailer than risk others' well being and your livelihood.

thanks for the replies guys, gona make a drop plate type thing, that i can unpin the plate and pop on the nato or the ball hitch don't want to spend to much till the receiver hitch arrives, then i can by the nato hitch insert for the receiver hitch.

many thanks

sebastien

Please don't do a lash up job. I know it's a single and relatively short journey, and that you'll keep the speed down, but a hitch failure could still easily kill someone if it hits them or causes them to swerve to avoid the trailer. It sounds like you have a better plan now, anyway, but no driver should ever consider risking driving an unroadworthy vehicle just because of the inconvenience of waiting for delivery of the correct parts - much better to delay the collection of the trailer than risk others' well being and your livelihood.

I agree, I'm going to be making up a mount with an old drop hitch from the old farm 90 so will be more than strong enough, many thanks for the concern, the last thing i want is it to drop of and endanger the public.

Many thanks

Sebastien

thought about that but this one doesn't it has a spare wheel mount, i bought one cheap, just making a plate to mount to standard 2 bolt to hitch, as said only to get it back then will be switching it to ball hitch. Have to win the bidding first looking good though, it will be the basis for an expedition trailer however before i do it up will be used for pulling logs out the woods.

many thanks the optimist

Hi, I picked up a wide track from witham last year. I tried indispension for a hitch but they didnt have a hitch that would take the nato ring.

I have a countrywide farm supplies near me. they stock farm vehicle hitches with the ball on top, a pin running through the ball and a large curved receiver which can take the nato ring easily. cost about £30. just be aware these hitches are not type approved for cars made after 1990. they are bright orange so easily spotted by inspectors. I painted mine black and added a rubber insert to stop the ring slamming. Also please note the nato ring doesnt rotate so should be attached to a rotating hitch or one with enough space to allow the large rotation possible in off road situations. if the trailer turns over it WILL take your vehicle with it.

If it doesnt have lights or compatible wiring you will need a light board too.

Eric

That sounds to be the size of the small one tbh, I'll go and measure the hitch I have now.

EDIT: the main part of the back plate is 4.5" wide by 3.25" tall

The plate that normally goes behind the crossmember is much taller than that. That is, I think, the plate in front of the crossmember.

The plate that normally goes behind the crossmember is much taller than that. That is, I think, the plate in front of the crossmember.

Apologies,those measurements were for the back of the hitch and not for either of the spreader plates you should add when mounting to the crossmember.

hi guys thanks for the help got the nato hitch mounted, then lost the bid by 23 quid, gutted still on the hunt, but thank you for the tips, swivel nato hitch mounted so, should be all good when one comes up. used a 15mm steel plate bolted to the hitch with two bolt holes at the bottom to connect to the standard 2 bolt hitch, but made so when mantec have made my receiver hitch can be adapted for a 2 inch receiver hitch.

Again many thanks

the optimist