wheel bearing nut socket size help

"SX010 BRAND NEW SEALEY 52MM IMPACT SOCKET 1/2" SQUARE DRIVE" from ebay worked well for me.... £11.99 delivered.

Yes, the box spanners are cheaper (if you search around), but for the sake of a few quid, why not have a much better tool? (assuming you have a breaker bar/torque wrench already)

"SX010 BRAND NEW SEALEY 52MM IMPACT SOCKET 1/2" SQUARE DRIVE" from ebay worked well for me.... £11.99 delivered.

Yes, the box spanners are cheaper (if you search around), but for the sake of a few quid, why not have a much better tool? (assuming you have a breaker bar/torque wrench already)

IMO the box spanner is a much superior tool as you can use both hands on the tommy bar when adjusting the wheel bearings.

Why is a breaker bar needed ? The hub nuts shouldn't be that tight. I often use water pump pliers to set wheel bearings

Td5 onwards use a crush tube/spacer to set the bearing preload and a F off stake nut to keep it all in place, you need at least a breaker bar to undo them hence the need for the proper socket, however I only use that to remove the rather gash setup IMHO and then fit the pre td5 setup using a box spanner to set the preload.

Will.

Td5 onwards use a crush tube/spacer to set the bearing preload and a F off stake nut to keep it all in place, you need at least a breaker bar to undo them hence the need for the proper socket, however I only use that to remove the rather gash setup IMHO and then fit the pre td5 setup using a box spanner to set the preload.

Will.

That's what I would be doing.

So please how do you convert back so I can try to remember it.

I second (or what ever number it is) the 52mm socket, I have both and although I have a TD5 so need to set the torque on other trucks I still use the socket to release more stubborn hub nuts especially if the bearing has given up and started to weld it's self to things.

Jason.

There is a certain torque setting when doing the wheel bearings on any land rover product and after I welded a plate with an old 1/2 inch socket on it to my box spanner that allowed me to get a torque setting per say, however now I have bought a proper deep impact socket I get the full benefit of proper torque settings and my wheel bearings don't need "adjusting" half as much as they used to just by doing it by feel-I run those challenger wheels and Goodyear wrangler MTRs on my 90

Torque setting. That's a very modern thing. I was taught to tighten by feel. I still do.

When working on twin wheel Transit ambulances I found that for the front wheel bearings that an 1 1/8" socket with a 3/8" drive brace was the correct torque for the front hub bearings....

As I've only done 104,000 miles with my Defender. I'm afraid I can't say if the way I set hub bearings is wrong. All I can say is I've yet to change a hub bearing.

In fact the two sets I carry as spares came from the rear axle of my Range Rover.

I found the 52mm socket very heave and unstable to use. As well as not being deep enough