Roof rails - Freelander 1

G4FUJ

I've been in the market, on and off, for a 3 door Hippo since early 2011 (when the 90 was in for it's major rebuild - chassis, bulkhead galvanising etc.), but finding one with TD4 in good condition for sale has been pretty well impossible. So, as I need something bigger than the MINI, grand little car that it is, it has to go and I will accept that the number of 5 door Freelanders with TD4 is greater and it will probably be easier to find a reasonable one.

Now for the simple question - is it possible to retro-fit the longitudinal roof rails on a 5 door (if they aren't there - not possible on a Clubman). Having the rails is essential - Ralph (Western) will know why. If it is possible, are they still readily available, bearing in mind the Freelander 2 came out in 2006...

Cheers,

Hi G4FUJ.

Yes, it's definitly 'do-able' !

I have the 5 door year 2000 FL which came with no roof rails. I was wandering around a Land Rover show back in 2011, and spotted some second hand roof rails for 30 quid !

Fitted them no problem, took about half an hour / 40 mins. Just make sure the kit is complete with the proper bolts, and the 4 plastic caps and the 4 little rubber gaskets

Basically, prise off the little blanking caps on the roof, offer up the roof rail, make sure the little rubber gasket is in place, and send the bolt through into the roof (allan key). The pre-threaded holes are already there.

Looks so much better with the roof rails on !

Have a look on E Bay. They're probably still available from your LR dealer to order, but they'd cost the earth !

Matt.

Cheers Matt.

I had a quick look at a 5 door on Sunday, after speaking to a delaer on Saturday. But by the time I got there someone else was in the process of negotiating a deal on it. It had too many things wrong for me (mostly cosmetic) and it confirmed I do not want another black car...

So the hunting continues (unless I buy a CR-V :eek: ).