o_teunico

Homemade tools/machines

This is our homemade power hacksaw. (Sorry this is the only pic I could find). It uses an old washing machine motor and Its quite slow but it will just plod on and allow you to get on with something else in the mean time.

hacksaw.jpg

I made a small milling machine before I bought a real one. Worked OK ish, that is if dimensional accuracy was not top of your list!

It is on here somewhere....

EDITED to add - found it here; Homebrew Milling Machine

I still have it in the garage if anyone wants to make me an offer!

I'm toying with the idea of building a small vertical borer...... I think a Boxford lathe like mine stood on end, with a new thrust bearing to take the load...... keep thingking....

I'm toying with the idea of building a small vertical borer...... I think a Boxford lathe like mine stood on end, with a new thrust bearing to take the load...... keep thingking....

Other than floor space theres nothing to be gained by having a small vertical borer other than the novalty factor...

Nah, many many jobs are better done on a borer than in a lathe...I should know, its my job!

Nah, many many jobs are better done on a borer than in a lathe...I should know, its my job!

Its my job en all.... Just my Lathe hasnt fallen over.

Where I work they've got a 120" Webster & Bennett for those little jobs...

And some 36" 48" and 60" flavours.

we've 800mm Carnaghi, 48" W&B, 1900mm Schiess, 2440mm Berthiez :) :) :) :) :) :)

Ha! I forgot the Schiess, twin table jobbie, probably about the same size as yours :D

We make epicyclic gears, big ones, upto about 40T, fixed input/output ratio's, so turn lots of rings to cut teeth on.

Hey guys - homemade tools guy here. Thanks for the link. We have a new ebook out: How to Make a Belt Sander. 100% free of course. Click the graphic below to check it out:

how_to_make_a_belt_sander.png