:D Oh some very interesting info on HID Lights :O)

Hybrid_From_Hell

VERY :D

I was with my MOT tester today as have been tweaking the 5.2 and wanted the emmissions checked

Was late and he commented on my lights

"Why haven't you got some nice HID units" ?

:blink:

"Illegal" I said "without self adjusting gubbins"

"Bolox" he replied

And then showed me the MOT rules n regs which say when testing HID Lights how to etc and to TEST THE GUBBINS IF FITTED so

if its not fitted is OK, if it is fitted or was factory fitted then it has to work

So, you CAN have HIDs on your land Rover and legally :D

He also commented he asked this very Q on his last training day, answer was as above

:D

Bye LR4x4 and hellooooooooooooooooo Ebay :lol:

Thought this would be of interest - check with his tester

Nige

Thought that to have HID fitted you had to have self levelling kit fitted and they had to be E marked. Or is this the case of your tester interpreting the rules to suit the outcome that he wants.? Like most testers do anyway.

^^

Wot I thought and what he thought and was unsure about the book is actually quite clear IF FITTED !!!!

It has been checked ny him, a lot of testers have been asking the same question !

You don't have to have self levelling fitted, but, if you do, or it was fitted it must be there and work

1985 V8 90 + HID sir ?

Oh yes please I can see WTF I am going :D

N

When I looked into it I went round is circles, although they will pass an MOT you may fall foul of the men from VOSA and was pointed to this document. in the end I removed mine and fitted the Chrystal Wipac's with Osram Night breaker bulbs.

The nub of things is that the reflector bowl needs to be e marked for the HID bulbs fitted, which is a different e mark than the halogen bowls, I was not able to find any 7inch bowls marked for HID's so mine are now sitting in the workshop, as I say the MOT man may not know that level of detail however the VOSA man with a bee in his bonnet seems to know all about the rules. :blink: Maybe I should stick them on eBay now!! :huh:

When I was searching for the rules a while ago, I found and bookmarked this page which has a lot of useful links, could be useful for others.

Jason.

FFS do not buy cheap ones, three nights in a row my mate lost his headlights when we were out playing in the snow ( NOT fun his gf passenger will agree!) due to ****ty hid kit, melted plugs and then melted PCB even when re soldered gave issues. It also sets his td5 alarm box off at random.

IIRC it was approx £55 off evilbay.

On a side not have you got the H4 OSRAM night breakers Jason? I have given up on mine after two bulb failures in aprox 3 months and 3000 ish miles. I've put the Lucas ones back in that were rolling about under the seat whilst the OSRAMs were fitted.

Will.

Hi Will,

Yes I have the H4 Osram Night Breaker plus units, have run them for a while and not had any issues, I drive with my headlights on all of the time so they have done a few hours now.

Jason.

Lying somewhere in my garage, underneath various bits of semi-broken Disco is a HID kit that I bought from Scrapiron a good few years ago. Had both dip and full beam and made a hell of a difference, but after reading various threads on the subject, like Jason, I took em off, might just dig em out......

As linked in the other thread, its still illegal to retrofit HID's unless you follow DVLA guidelines. There appears to be one exception that VOSA have confirmed, but yet to have DVLA confirm, and that is there apparently is a 2000 lumens limit. If below this limit, you can fit HID or LED headlamps legally without self levelling and washers. Again they still need to be an e approved headlamp unit designed for light source in use.

As also mentioned in other thread, what's tested in MOT means nothing.

Having said all of that its up to you what you fit. Personally with headlamps I'm inclined to fit what's legal and as Jason pointed out crystals with uprated lamps like nightbreaker plus are very good.

Cheers

Steve

Here's the response from VOSA, that explains why they won't fail if not fitted, as MOT testers will not have the ability to test light output

Cheers

Steve

Date: 27 December 2012 13:53:12 GMT

To: ******@gmail.com

Subject: Re: Retro fit LED headlamps without self levelling and washers

Dear Mr. G******

Thank you for your email enquiry dated 20th December 2012, concerning the

above.

VOSA can only comment on the MOT scheme.

HiD and LED headlamp levelling and washing systems will only be tested

where they are fitted. If they are found to be inoperative or otherwise

obviously defective they will fail. In the case of headlamp levelling, the

tester must be certain that the system is operative before failing, as on

some of these systems it is not possible to readily determine that they

work as intended.

The reason the test is this way is because not all HiD headlamps are

legally required to be fitted with these systems. To be mandatory, the

headlamp has to be over 2000 lumen. Generally, it is not possible for an

MOT tester to determine whether this is the case, so the test is

'simplified' to take account of this.

DfT produce a factsheet on aftermarket HiD headlamps at

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/...dlamps.pdf

although this does not mention the 2000 lumen requirement.

If you have any further queries regarding the legality of these lights, you

should contact the Department for Transport at ww.gov.uk/dft and select

"Department for Transport" as the section to which you wish to address your

query.

I hope this information has assisted you with your enquiry, but if you have

any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Kind Regards,

Stephen

Customer Service Centre

VOSA Operations Directorate

Tel: 0300 123 9000

The staff at the VOSA Customer Service Centre are keen to hear your

feedback on the service that they provide for you. This will enable us to

further understand customer requirements and make improvements where

possible. Please take a few moments to complete our Customer Service

Centre Customer Feedback form by clicking here

Stay informed: Sign up for free email alerts and newsletters from VOSA

Direct.

From the very brief glance at the document, it would seem plausible, as long as you replace the entire lamp, bulb, reflector etc, with e-marked items and ensure the washer system is working, oh and the self-levelling suspension as well ;)

I expect doing that would be a fair few quid though.

I fitted some HID's to my RRC inside the crystal headlamp bowls.

The beam-pattern wasn't amazing, the cut-off on the N/S was far too high on low beam and I found I was lighting up the inside of cars I was overtaking on the motorway, I removed them for this reason.

Without fitting them into a proper projector housing I think you will struggle to get a decent beam pattern from them. I now run some Halfrauds 150% bulbs (still 55/60W) coupled with the "relay wiring" method and find the light output to be just as good, although not as "bling".