:D Oh some very interesting info on HID Lights :O)

Hybrid_From_Hell

I;ve been talking to a company about this and so far with some success.

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=77667

I'm at the point where they have reconditioned my Boge strut and now i need to refit and test.

Seen, and interested, but with a 2"+ lift on mine, I removed it a few years back, but then if I ever got another RRC on stock suspension I was thinking..... awful lot of money though.

Bowie - Nice, I had often considered doing something similar, I just wonder how much of an improvement it would be. Perhaps if I get bored enough, although I don't think there's anywhere near enough room behind the headlights on the classic for this due to the battery tray.

I still have the HID stuff in the garage, I also bought a pair of spotlight bulbs as I had considered fitting them into spotlights, couldn't find a neat way of doing it that would also have a good beam pattern though.

Thanks Steve ;)

Nige, back in ya cage! :>

Was interested as RRCs have self-levelling suspension.... so.... wanted to check the legality of a retrofit in this case :)

Yes a RRC would be fine. As you say you need to find a complete headlamp unit. There seem to be quite a few LED units appearing, but again they are quite pricy, some £900+ a pair. A number of them are under 2000 lumens too, so would be ok in UK without washers and self levelling.

Cheers

Steve

Nige,

Many years ago I went to a traffic police station and asked to see the Construction & Use Regs as I wanted to see if a particular law had changed.

The police told me that the C&U does not matter and handed me the previous cases precedent book. If it was in there and the case was won they would prosecute again if they had lost then they would not prosecute.

Ello, Ello, this is thee SVA Police! ;)

Worse than them being illegal....

I imported a kit form Europe which claimed to be fully legal in the UK and fitted to my 110. They were very bright and gave good visibility. However, I had cause to refill my washer bottle in the rain at Pease Pottage Services on the M23. I must have touched some part of the wiring because I received possibly the worst electric shock I've had - similar to licking an ignition coil in badness!!

When I got home, I removed them and then took revenge on them with a club hammer!

I've since fitted the Halfords high brightness bulbs in standard bowls and to be honest, they are almost as good. However, I don't get so many people flashing their headlights at me in approval now! ;)

Si

Ah, this is pretty clear cut:

https://www.gov.uk/general-rules-all-drivers-riders-103-to-158/lighting-requirements-113-to-116

must not..... use any lights in a way which would dazzle or cause discomfort to other road users, including pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders

Well I hope people found this thread helpful in the end :)

Ah, this is pretty clear cut:

https://www.gov.uk/general-rules-all-drivers-riders-103-to-158/lighting-requirements-113-to-116

Well I hope people found this thread helpful in the end :)

Yep first time I'd seen the 2000 lumen part mentioned.

After a bit of googling I did find at least one person who had been fined for having HID's fitted http://www.corsa-c.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?347047-Fined-for-HID-s

£30 Fine & no points with a 1 in a million chance of being stopped isn't much of a deterrent!

I wish the police could do something about Bicycles with unbelievably bright HID / LED, particularly when they have been aimed specifically to dazzle motorists! I stopped one of them and asked if he would dip the beam a little - but his attitude was I deserved to be dazzled for being inconsiderate enough to drive a car. We pass one another every evening on our respective ways home - so since then, I've been returning the gesture in kind!

Si

£30 Fine & no points with a 1 in a million chance of being stopped isn't much of a deterrent!

I wish the police could do something about Bicycles with unbelievably bright HID / LED, particularly when they have been aimed specifically to dazzle motorists! I stopped one of them and asked if he would dip the beam a little - but his attitude was I deserved to be dazzled for being inconsiderate enough to drive a car. We pass one another every evening on our respective ways home - so since then, I've been returning the gesture in kind!

Si

Likewise about bikes with no lights!

There have also been a number of UK motorcyclists last year stopped and fined in Austria for having HID lights, I believe two got a 200 euro fine and one a 100 euro fine. So maybe other countries are hotter on this?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=827596

gude9upe.jpg

No idea what that paperwork says but I assume it's to do with the fine. Maybe some linguistically talented person could translate what the offence actually was?