TD5 Sunroof Leak

boaterboy

Having successfully removed the headlining from my 2002 Discovery 2, repaired the broken plastic mouldings at the rear end of each of the sunroof surrounds, refitted the tubes which run down the A & C pillars and replaced the roof lining, for some months I have been congratulating myself on curing the water leaks - particularly with the terrific rain storms we have been experiencing over the last few months.

However, in the last couple of weeks I now find a drip of water forming on the 'press' release button on each of the manual winding handles.

No water is getting to the previous places, ie along the edges of the headlining. The lining in general remains perfectly dry.

Does anyone know how water is entering to get to the 'press' buttons / handles, please?

First of all, the two drains are at the front corners of each roof, they are there to remove any water that runs off the glass and into the side channels should the sunroof be opened when its wet, that's why the drains are at the front only and the glass also has a plastic moulding on top to divert water to the sides.

Thats the design theory.

If you have faulty glass seal and the drains are collecting and removing the water ok but they won't if your facing up a slope, If the frame seal is faulty water will flow into the lower frame and seep out where ever it can, either via the fixing screws or winding mech or over the top direct on to the headlining.

post-5809-0-20833500-1359824884_thumb.jpg

Thank you for all that, teabag.

Firstly, you are quite right re. the drains being on the front, I must have been having a memory lapse when I wrote my earlier note!

Blimey, I spent enough time looking at the blasted things when I fixed them last year!

Incidentally, I came to the conclusion that the reason for the tubes on the corner mouldings breaking off was down to the roof lining continually pressing on them.

Before re-fitting the roof lining I made some simple shrouds out of stainless sheet and which cover the mouldings / tubes - these take the load of the roof lining.

I Araldited these to the inside of the roof.

Anywy, I will get in there again and see if I can source the leak based on all that you have told me.

Thank you again for your advice.

I suspected it was a lapse thing boaterboy, :) but u never know after what u read in the forums. Yes there is a flaw with the plastic 'drain sump'... how it's fixed and the route of the tubing.

I haven't had the pleasure yet of leaking sunroofs i opened them once and saw how the glass was bouncing about and the roof flexing when driving over bumps in the road, so they were shut never to be opened other than to see it they still workonce a year which they do.

I removed both sunroofs from my 2001 Td5 2 yrs ago as both were leaking and many posts reported the problem was often between vehicle roof and sunroof frame .

I found the original gasket between frame and roof to be paper thin and pretty much useless as a seal .

I resealed the boxes where they are attached at the front corner of each roof with Tiger seal . Drain tubes were clear .

I then refitted both frames and bedded them in a good bead of Tiger seal -so that a little was squeezed out all around the frame .

Then let it set for 24 hrs.

Put everything back together and has been dry since - and we have got some serious rain over here .

I also removed the rubber seals between glass and frame and cleaned everything up . Then made sure that seal was properly seated all around , coated it with Vaseline ( had no silicone grease) and closed the roofs , making sure the glass was in contact with seal all around .

When I was 'researching' my problem I noticed that blocked drain tubes were hardly ever the problem .

My mates sunroof were leaking also the rear one wouldn't close dod tight on the seal, we found that a plastic bush that slides along the operating arm was missing and a few of the nylon track sliders has broken.

So we decided to replace the sunroof with a £30 inc p&p one from ebay, when that arrived it still has it's motor but we saw that the locking mech had been butchered with a saw and and both tracks were full of grease. So we decided to dismantel both sun roofs down to their componant parts, that was an interesting little job, we keeped the ebay operating gear and the single bush for the operating arm and rebuilt the existing sunroof and refitted it to the vehicle using sealant for the body to frame seal.

We still have the plastic/nylon sliders, screws and a glass seal just in case, the ebay motor went back on ebay and sold for £30, with blinds £15, two glass screws/nuts for £4.50 the glass and frame went to the tip.. we had a proffit of £19.50 and now a good understanding how a sunroof works. :)

The bush that was missing...

post-5809-0-04134800-1359889456_thumb.jpg