Bleeding jack!

Dads Toy

I'd have said you need a ball which is about the same diameter as the chamfered end of the pin (not the full diameter, just the smaller diameter of the chamfer).

Measure it as accurately as you can and then PM me with the result and your address. I've got loads of different sizes of balls in my stock of useful stuff - my grandfather-in-law used to work in a ball bearing factory.

Nick.

The bore that the ball bearing sits in is horizontal. Anything significantly smaller than that will surely just sit at the bottom and not seat into the recess, which is central at the end of the bore.

I'm still hoping a kind person with one of these jacks will measure the one that's in theirs so I know what size I'm looking for.

Malcolm

Well it works! :i-m_so_happy:

I got a 1/4" ball from my local bike repair place (it's the biggest they had) rebuilt the jack and bingo.

The seal under the ram that sits in the base of the jack has to be thin. I originally put a normal size o-ring there and whilst it seals nicely you have a problem fitting the cover. Because the cover seals on an o-ring at the top of the first stage ram any extra height at the base means the cover won't sit in the groove of the gasket in the base.

Apart from that very straightforward.

My original problem was I lost the ball bearing in the relief valve (but didn't know it), however I now know how a Land Rover bottle jack works.

Malcolm

Referring to the first photo in Post #15, and I do not know how to quote it, I have a bottle jack, not an LR one, and it has a black rubber or plastic plug, in about the same position as in the photo. To vent the air from the jack I need only to remove this plug with a thin screwdriver or the blade of my pocket knife. I know when it needs bleeding because when the jack shaft is compressed by hand, after having raised a significant load, eg the front axle of my LR, it slowly expands again. I hope this helps.

Mike

• 6 years later...

Dads Toy, great detailed description of the strip down. I have just bought one of the standard 2T LR jacks and it won't lift the weight of the Defender. I think it's leaking pressure when under heavy load, so I'm thinking of stripping it down, but it would be good to have a look at the pictures before undertaking that - are the pictures still available?