Jeep wrangler build

Looking good Dan, how many projects do you have on the go?

Thanks Nick,

:lol: I make a point to never have more than seven on the go at once :lol:

Seriously though i have this wrangler, my nissan patrol, my 1942 willys mb and a G wagon replacement. The willys and new buggy are hovering just out of the parts gathering phase, and theres a volvo c202 waiting in the wings ready for 80 series cruiser axles and a 300tdi and autobox.

Interesting explanation of the leafspring setup Bill. I'm not sure I fully understand it, I think you're saying the SPRING HANGER can "flip", and is stopped by something when moving upwards to make it a rigid mount point?

Yes that is a reasonably close understanding of what I have. I just substituted the word 'shackle' in your quote with the words ' spring hanger'. The only change I have made since that thread was written is to replace the single leaf Transit Van parabolic spring with a 4 leaf semi elliptic spring pack for better damping and longevity.

Dan, did you use standar RHS stock for the chassis rails or have the section folded up? Beautiful work by the way. When do you get time to eat and sleep? :)

Thanks for posting your builds again, got to have a good look under your pajero hybird at an event over here a few months ago, very well built!!

No worries, it's nice to have somewhere to post them.

How was the pajero doing? I do miss that car, it's sucsessful formula is driving this build!

You could do to post some of your work on here there would be a lot of interest for sure.

Ps. did you upgrade to rcv cv's for your rear steer?

No worries, it's nice to have somewhere to post them.

How was the pajero doing? I do miss that car, it's sucsessful formula is driving this build!

You could do to post some of your work on here there would be a lot of interest for sure.

Ps. did you upgrade to rcv cv's for your rear steer?

yeah its doing fine from what i gather...certainly well put toghter!!

Im more of a lurker than a poster, but ill stick up a few things that im fiddling with.

Ended up ditching the rear steer, wouldnt bother again unless using 404's or planetarys ect.

Got the steering box in place so i could mock up the steering.

IMGP2683_zpsae916c6f.jpg

Old steering box spacer and new crush tubes.

IMGP2696_zpsb28de876.jpg

The bottom half of the bracket is only tacked in place at the moment, just in case i want to remove it integrate it all into the panhard rod mounting.

IMGP2694_zps786f3654.jpg

Then i measured the steering box throw, drew out the 19.6 degrees of ackermann and made some mock Hi-steer arms, and mock steering bars.

IMGP2687_zps65218d1b.jpg

IMGP2688_zps52c975ba.jpg

IMGP2691_zpsa15ac9cf.jpg

Everything looks pretty good, i'll have room for nearly 8" of uptravel.

I decided on using the stock amount of ackermann as my wheelbase (101") falls inbetween the short and long wheelbase g wagons, and i'm pretty confident it'll help it turn with the lockers in.

Stock steering arms, you can see how much ackermann they have built into them.

IMGP2686_zpsee1527d2.jpg

Dowels to take some of the shear loading off the swivel bolts, clever austrians.

IMGP2684_zps90eb5d45.jpg

That is a vicious amount of Akerman angle on those standard Merc arms Dan. As close as I can measure under all the crud, my Series LR arms only have about 7-8 degrees , measured at the arms themselves, and about 15 degrees when measured at where the projected lines of halfshaft and swivel pins converge. Doubling of the angle is due to my vehicle being changed to have reverse ackerman steering. with normal ackerman the angle would probably be halved instead.

Actually, now that I have had 5 minutes to think about it.If my true Ackerman angle, due to king pin inclination is actually double the measured offset angle of the steering arms,then If you want to retain Standard Merc Ackerman angles,but with cranked up steering arms mounted on top, verses at bottom with original cranked up arms, wouldn't the angle when measured from the swivel/halfshaft axis convergance point to the TRE be what you should be trying to replicate? Or have you already done that in your calculations when making the mock up arms?

I have confused the hell out of myself by looking at my front end and trying to visualise the steering arms and trackrod back in their original Ackerman location as opposed to their revised Reverse Ackerman arrangement.

But it would seem that top mounted arms would need to have a different offset angle than bottom mounted arms to give the same actual Ackerman angle, due to as Rick pointed out on the other thread, that true Ackerman is measured from the TRE ball joint to the axle/kingpin convergence point.So I'm guessing the actual Ackerman angle or the Merc axle is more like 14 degrees when measured at those points.

I think I'll have a cup of tea and a good lie down after that bit of mental torture :unsure:

Edit. It is difficult to tell from the photos Dan, but it does appear that if you dropped a plumb line down through the TRE hole in your mocked up trackrod arm, it would drop through the TRE hole in the original Merc arm below. Is that so? If yes, then that would indeed replicate the original Merc Ackerman angle in my view, based on all that bulltish I wrote above.

Haha :D well actually there's a funny thing about sparkplugs, I'm pretty sure that all spark plugs have imperial threads? It must be something that lies very close to metric though, but what makes me think so is that all engines I've stumpled upon use the same standard of threads, and the hex to tighten it down is not metric, it is imperial. Totally OT I know, but somewhat of a mystery.(to me)

Fell out with petrol engines many years ago, some of the newer lumps are appealing, until i think about trying to fix one in a field with a lump hammer and an adjustable spanner.

Got some tube bent with my new stupid bender, damned thing makes my head hurt every time i use it. i may have to give up and buy bendtech soon.

2013-02-07_21-33-34_270_zps56c0fc57.jpg

2013-02-07_21-46-57_484_zpsb5394dcb.jpg

carp mobile pics sorry.