Jeep wrangler build

Oooh G12... mmmmm quality veteran leccy winchy stuff. Is it 'improved'? Got a useful scource for the OE bearings fitted by Uncle David

Wondered if you'd spot it, posted specially for you ;)

I don't know if it's "improved", it's been under the bench for about 4 years.

P*ss off, your tube skills are sickeningly good.

I'd normally agree but i've just bought a new JMR draw bender, and after 12 plus years on a center push bender using the draw bender is like haveing to learn how to walk again.

I'd normally agree but i've just bought a new JMR draw bender, and after 12 plus years on a center push bender using the draw bender is like haveing to learn how to walk again.

I have a ProTools 105 bender, working out two bends after one another is head wrenching. bends from 3.5ish inches (i have a 7inch clr die) to the left of where i need the middle of the bend to be.. measure from one end so everything ends up correct blah blah... I first made some very wonky hoops!

also, homebrew hydro conversion is on my to do list!!

• 3 weeks later...
I've got a question about one of your tools, I've never seen one like it before. Whats the Grey and Blue thing? I feel it's something amazing that I'm missing out on?

I think that may be something his Mrs has left in the Jeep .... I tripped over one in the kitchen the other day, nearly bloomin' finished me off, no idea what they are for but they are bloody dangerous! Keep clear of them for your own safety.

IMGP2707_zps4c84ef66.jpg

I've got a question about one of your tools, I've never seen one like it before. Whats the Grey and Blue thing? I feel it's something amazing that I'm missing out on?
It's an angle grinder Al ! It supersedes the hacksaw and flat file in your engineer's tool set

Now I know why it took sooooo long to bobtail your rangy.

Not sure about professional looking! "professionals" would probably rill the panels for stiffness and have them removable.

I aim to make something that looks "factory" to the casual observer,

Once its finished seam sealed and repainted with the body it should disappear.

I have got the steering arms back from the first stage of machining, they are massive! Pics tomorrow.

Thanks for the props guys, (really not a masterpiece though).

Got the other side of the tunnel in.

IMGP2732_zps6584f554.jpg

Back to work on the steering,

The arms are 30mm thick en8b, the kingpins are en24t they are center drilled right through as a grease path to lubricate the swivel bearings.

I still have to drill the tapers for the track rod ends, and maybe take a little weight out of them somewhere!

IMGP2715_zpsc58cefe3.jpg

IMGP2716_zps2fe546aa.jpg

IMGP2724_zpsa1162a2e.jpg

IMGP2723_zps7bfc77f6.jpg

I've been up to milners today and come away with a pair of 14" 2.0 air shocks, I'm not sure whether ultimately I'll use them as having spring rate and ride height inexorably linked can be a pain.

But they will do to build it on, if they don't work out they are the same closed length as14" 2.0 coilovers.

2013-03-09_18-36-17_862_zps1edfa62d.jpg

Managed to squeeze a few hours in the workshop tonight.

I've made the front panel tube hoop and mounted the front grill off it, added a center check strap point and started cycling the suspension to find a home for the panhard rod

This is full bump, and proved that mk1 panard rod mounting won't work, as the diff pan is where the chassis end of the panhard wanted to be.

2013-03-09_22-24-06_900_zpsfeb32d86.jpg

Back to work on the steering,

The arms are 30mm thick en8b, the kingpins are en24t they are center drilled right through as a grease path to lubricate the swivel bearings.

I still have to drill the tapers for the track rod ends, and maybe take a little weight out of them somewhere!

IMGP2715_zpsc58cefe3.jpg

IMGP2716_zps2fe546aa.jpg

IMGP2724_zpsa1162a2e.jpg

IMGP2723_zps7bfc77f6.jpg

Those steering arms are probably the only thing that survives a nuclear attack, they bend light! which balljoints are you using?

Daan