Protecting power steering pipes

Sabre

Both my son and I have experienced the power steering pipes on our 300 Tdi Discoveries to have been worn through by the brackets that clamped them to the chassis

When we refitted new pipes, we actually covered the full lenght of the metal parts with a rubber pipe, and then fastened the power steering pipes to the chassis with strong cable ties

But I have been wondering if the exposed metal pipes do not aid cooling of the ATF ? Does anyone know what the average operating temperature in the system is, and if the metal pipes are in fact the system coolers ?

Any steel pipe work dissipates heat, but how much cooling you need depends on the duty cycle of the steering. If you are road speed you will be fine, if you are off road, the oil may last less time? (or boil)

It's one of the things I find tricky, even working in the trade. A customer wanted an oil cooler for a hydraulic rig. I know the efficiency of a gear pump is 75%, so the heat will be 25% of shaft power. But what is the pack driving, how efficient are the valves, and how much heat does the system loose naturally through metal work, are questions answered by testing !

Meself, I only 'rubber' the bits by the clamps :)

Both my son and I have experienced the power steering pipes on our 300 Tdi Discoveries to have been worn through by the brackets that clamped them to the chassis

When we refitted new pipes, we actually covered the full lenght of the metal parts with a rubber pipe, and then fastened the power steering pipes to the chassis with strong cable ties

But I have been wondering if the exposed metal pipes do not aid cooling of the ATF ? Does anyone know what the average operating temperature in the system is, and if the metal pipes are in fact the system coolers ?

Would It not be better to put the rubber tubing as to where the brackets/cable ties attach your pipework to the chassis as this will aid in cooling the pipework and protect the pipework from failing?

John

I used offcuts of small silicon hose on the p-clips, but not more than an inch or so. Reasoning being if all of pipe is covered it will hold the water rotting it out quicker, and as someone above suggested the pipe aids cooling. If you have no separate radiator a pipe which goes backwards and forwards across the front of the car for no other reason may be THE radiator.

I used offcuts of small silicon hose on the p-clips, but not more than an inch or so. Reasoning being if all of pipe is covered it will hold the water rotting it out quicker, and as someone above suggested the pipe aids cooling. If you have no separate radiator a pipe which goes backwards and forwards across the front of the car for no other reason may be THE radiator.

Thanks Pete, and to all the other that replied. The water holding might be a problem, so I will follow the good advise and only use rubber in the clamps. Now to find those darn clamps again........... :blush: