Help! Suggestions needed to remove R380 g'box oil filler plug

Troll Hunter

I need to check my g'box oil level - annual check - and the plug is in f'n tight. It's one of those plugs with a hex socket, and all I'm doing is rounding the socket. Only about 2 threads of the plug are exposed, so I can't get a grip with a pipe wrench, and a hammer and chisel is just peeling off the two threads! I've decided that heat, via an open flame, is not a viable option in that location. Apart from removing the g'box from the vehicle and addressing the problem on the bench, has anybody got any suggestions, please?

I've thought of using the drain plug as both a drain point and a refill point, by drilling and tapping it and fitting a valve, similar to the sump drain plug valves. I would not be able to check the actual oil level in the g'box, but I could totally drain the g'box and then refill it with the correct volume of oil. Has anybody done this? Anybody got any other suggestions, apart from to keep driving and pray?

Many thanks for all your thoughts.

Mike

Sure it's a hex? the r380 in my defender needs a t55 torx. get a mirrory pole thing for a better look.

If it is a defender and you aren't too worried about cosmetics you can drill a hole in the gearbox tunnel to get at it straight on. Then fit a rubber grommet to block it back in.

Sure it's a hex? the r380 in my defender needs a t55 torx. get a mirrory pole thing for a better look.

If it is a defender and you aren't too worried about cosmetics you can drill a hole in the gearbox tunnel to get at it straight on. Then fit a rubber grommet to block it back in.

If I remember from when I had my two Defenders, I was sure it was a Torx bit too. Get one of those and you should be ok.

Thanks for your replies. I tried with a mirror, and couldn't be sure whether it was a hex or Torx socket, so I tried a T40 and it was too small, and a T50 was too big, but the 8mm hex seemed to be the best fit. I don't have a T45. I'll see if I can get one after the w/e.

Mike

As above, it will definitely be a T55 unless someone has changed it. Last time I had a stubborn one, I put a T55 bit on the end of a half inch breaker bar and gave it a tug- seemed to do the trick.

It's worth getting a stiff bit of wire to scrape out the inside of the plug and giving the surrounding area a quick rub with a wire brush. The bit will grip the plug much better and you wont knock dirt into the hole once it's open.

HTH

Many thanks all. It's a long mirrory thing first off, and then make sure I've got the right Torx bit and a clean socket.

Western, your pic shows a Torx socket, as to fit an external nut or bolt head, but my plug is a socket as for an Allen key or Torx key, so perhaps mine has been changed.

pete3000, many thanks for your suggestion of cutting a hole. If the mirrory thing doesn't work, that'll be my next step.

Mike

Why cut a hole? It won't be much (any) quicker than removing the tunnel, and you will struggle to cut it in the right place. If you want a hole for future oil changes then remove the tunnel first so you can measure twice and cut once, it might even end up in the right place :blink:

The R380 tunnel isn't difficult to remove from a Defender. From memory all you have to do is :-

1) remove gear knobs

2) remove gear lever gaiter

3) undo 17mm nyloc nut holding main gear lever on and remove lever.

4) undo the two screws holding fusebox in place for a bit of wiggle room.

5) undo all screws actually holding the gearbox tunnel in place.

6) remove tunnel by jiggling it a bit to get it around hand brake lever.

Again, many thanks to you all for helping me to sort this problem, and apologies to you, Western, for doubting your photo. It was a case of my eyes seeing what they were looking for, not what was there. Thank you, CRClifford for "opening" my eyes.

Mike

Again, many thanks to you all for helping me to sort this problem, and apologies to you, Western, for doubting your photo. It was a case of my eyes seeing what they were looking for, not what was there. Thank you, CRClifford for "opening" my eyes.

Mike

not a problem Mike, happy to help, :i-m_so_happy: :i-m_so_happy:

I remeber when i got my R380, that was the first thing I changed, and swapped the plug over from the old LT77, as far as I'm aware nothing else on the vehicle uses a T55, which I thought was somwhat rediculous, so back went the good old square head filler plug.

Mav

I remeber when i got my R380, that was the first thing I changed, and swapped the plug over from the old LT77, as far as I'm aware nothing else on the vehicle uses a T55, which I thought was somwhat rediculous, so back went the good old square head filler plug.

Mav

Its always baffled me why they used the torx plug instead of the old style one, or one like the diff plugs that you just stick the head of the wrench in.