3.9 V8 EWP115 help

Hello, my name is Richard and I'm from Derby. I feel a bit out of place because I'm not a 4x4er, however I'm as much of a petrol head as the anyone and hope to get to know you all.

I'm in the process of installing a 3.9 rv8 into my lotus 7 style kit car. I've spent a lot of money on rebuilding the engine and also the installation.

I've come to the point of installing a Davies Craig EWP115 water pump. I'm fine with everything up to the point of the cold water feed into the engine. I plan on using a cover-plate where the water pump used to be and feed it with 2 22mm inlets directly infront of the original water galleries (well actually it will be 22x32mm reducing elbows with the 22mm side of the elbow on the plate).

My worry is if these 2 x 22mm feed pipes will be big enough to supply enough flow through the engine.?? I can't use bigger dia pipe because it will foul the gasket so my only other option would be to use bigger pipe and square off the pipe ends to increase csa & still fit within the gasket (which I dont really want to do).

My logic is that the radiator pipes are 32mm dia which is 804mm2 csa

2 x 22mm pipes (only 50mm long max) have a combined csa of 760mm2 (94% of rad hose so not much of a reuction?)

The kit car forums don't have a huge amount of experience with this set up so I'm hoping someone here can help?

Many thanks in anticipation

Hi Richard,

FWIW it sounds as if your 2 22mm pipes will provide better actual water flow into the engine than the single 32mm does.

We've used smaller electric pumps on A series Mini race engines for years and these pumps only have 19mm i/d hose tails and we have never had any problems even up to 190bhp

I've just removed the impeller and pully before and made a little bung for the hole where the shaft used to be.

Then used the water pump casting. as the pipe connections

I think though i ended up refitting a standard water pump as well as the electric pump, and fitted a second radiator.

I was trying to keep a 5.2 eales lump cool in a cramped buggy though.

Thanks guys! This is exactly what I was hoping to get....advice from people who have actually "been-there" rather than the "in theory" brigade!

The only other advice I've had was from someone who hasn't done this before and has told me he thinks that the 2x22mm connections will be too small?!?

I did wonder about leaving the water pump body on but I was concerned that the water would take the easiest path down the "bottom" water gallery of the snail shaped pump-hole. Am I just over-thinking things as usual?

You advise and wisdom is greatly appreciated as my background is cosworth & pintos....not awesome v8,s!!!

DD - what have you just said :o ?!? With comments like that, you'll have Nige installing a second rad on his Eales :P

In all seriousness though, do you have doubts that the standard pump can cope, or is it a space issue? I have only come across an electric pump on challenge trucks to continue cooling after the engine has been switched off.

To play things safe..I've now purchased some 28mm tube and 32mm tube. I'm going to try and shape the ends of the tubes to fit the water gallery shapes and hopefully the slightly bigger tube diameter will help overcome any flow restrictions.

I'm not very hopeful that the 32mm will be any good....I think it will be too big but I've got my fingers crossed that I'll be able to do something with the 28mm!

On a side note...what a great forum! I've had no end of entertainment reading various topics! You 4x4 folks really know your stuff!

thanks mickeyw. Yes it comes with a temp sensor and contoller varies the pump speed (6 volts to 12 volts) according to the temp you set it at...and then when it gets a couple of degrees over the set temp it turns the elec fan on...

Ive never had any experience with these and it's not my first choice as a solution but as you can see from the build photos, I kinda got no choice !!