windscreen

DefcoL

You fit the rubber surround to the windscreen and feed the string round the groove that fits the bodywork, crossing the ends over.

Whilst holding the windscreen in place with firm pressure nip inside the cab and pull the ends of the string so that it pulls the rubber into place.

Not sure about using a water-based lubricant though, I reckon it would encourage rust. I'd be inclined to use silicone based stuff, perhaps the stuff they sell at Wickes for fitting underground soil pipes together?

easy way is to get a windscreen replacement place fit it for you.

It's idealy a two man job and takes a bit of practice though a Def screen is easier than many. If you can find someone that's done it to assit that would be good otherwise as Ralph says you are as well paying a few bob to get someone else to fit it.

It's idealy a two man job and takes a bit of practice though a Def screen is easier than many. If you can find someone that's done it to assit that would be good otherwise as Ralph says you are as well paying a few bob to get someone else to fit it.

hardest bit is holding it in place while the strings come out,

lubricant on the inner rubber is ok use a small rope nothing you'd tow out with though remember it only toppull the rubber out of the way and as doing so get around the glass, them little p**#@cks in back of a truck cab are worst to get back in especially the finishing bead to pack it all out

Garden strimmer line is what the blokes at work use for changing windscreens and with a lot of gravel road here it is something that they do quite a lot :)

I think they use Fairy Liquid or tyre bead lubricant to ease it along, probably whichever is closest at the time ;)

Two pairs of hands are not absolutely necessary but make it a lot easier!

hardest bit is holding it in place while the strings come out,

lubricant on the inner rubber is ok use a small rope nothing you'd tow out with though remember it only toppull the rubber out of the way and as doing so get around the glass, them little p**#@cks in back of a truck cab are worst to get back in especially the finishing bead to pack it all out

Those and the long thin ones in a hardtop can be a pain as well.

have always used fairy liquid and thin strimmer wire, bloody easy to crack though in my experience, espcially if using a new seal.

i would get someone to fit it for you for a £10 cash in hand job. just get them to expalin what happensif it breaks as most wont replace windscreens that break on fitting if it wasnt supplied by them. Thats what i have found anyway.

Thank you all, did as you suggested and used cord to install.

It went real quick and easy. B)

Cheeted a little by cutting the rubber on replacement to avoid breaking,

and used existing rubber to install.

located bottom of screen first and tim applied presure from outside as i pulled on cord.

went in first time and only required slight presure to fully seat.

once again thanks, job done

Lawrence

PS now have a very good condition screen frame spare. Its blue and free to any one who needs it. collection or might deliver to abbingdon

wouldn't use any washing up liquid as it contains salt, no good for the bodywork or seal.

yes, many a land rover has gone to the great scrapyard in the sky because as little kiddie inadvertantly splashed a teaspoon of fairy liquid over it. :rolleyes:

seriously though, is there any data to support the failure of bodywork and seal due to tiny amounts of washing up liquid? I doubt this is something to worry about.

tiny amounts of washing up liquid? I doubt this is something to worry about.

I'd worry, you need quite a bit to fit a windscreen, you have to have a slippery solution. Once in the groove in the seal it can't escape and the salt will eat away at the steel.

Washing your car with washing up liquid is a no-no too.

I used to use WUL to lubricate hoses when fitting them , but they have been a sod to remove later, and the steel pipes have rusted badly under the rubber.

Edit

Having said that, I used washing up liquid to fit a Metro windscreen, but this had the added bonus of evening up the rust in the roof with that in the floor.