Indicators Stuck On

V8david

Hi all

1989 RRC

The indicators are staying on and not flashing, just on. All of them, front, back and sides. If I try to put the hazards on the flasher relay clicks once and stops, all indicators stay on. If I pull the flasher relay out all the indictors stay on.

They do randomly start working again. But equally randomly stop. The immobiliser/central locking is supposed to make them flash 3 times when I unlock, and stay on for a few seconds when I lock. It seems to be sticking on when I go to unlock, but not every time. Is it likely, or does it sound like, a faulty flasher relay thingy or does it sound like something to do with the central locking system/immobiliser? Would a bad earth make them all stay on?

Just got her running again after almost 2 years, this is the thanks I get... :angry2:

:lol: found this with a search...

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=54981&hl=indicators

Forgotten all about that! So that's another part of the story, they were doing that in 2010, came off the road/engine out in 2011, started again and now problem worse in 2013!

Another thing I forgot to add, they seem to stick on after I've locked/unlocked a few times. If I disconnect the battery (only way I can turn them off) everything starts working again after an hour or two. Just disconnecting then re-connnecting the battery doesn't make them go off. Would this point to the flasher relay?

I'm just going to have to buy a flasher relay aren't I and see what happens...

If you have pulled the fuse, the system mat still be drawing power through the indicator circuit and then spreading it around both sides through a seized relay that has welded its contacts together. If the relay is out and it's still doing it, I'd be looking at the indicator switch and loom for shorts and misaligned contacts. If the lights were coming on on both sides through an indicator selection fault, it may have overloaded the relay (designed for only half the lights) and fused it closed, hence the solid rather than flashing lights.

Cheers Snagger.

Problem solved (or at least found) today. The central locking/immobiliser box seems to have it's own (smaller sounding) relay for operating the flashers when locking/unlocking. This has three wires coming out of it which have in line fuses, one of them was getting a bit warm while I was locking/unlocking. Anyway, took it out, not blown, so cleaned it and put it back in. All seems to be working now. At least I know where to look in future.

Thanks for the help. Them pesky after market alarm/immobilisers!!!!!

:blush::angry2: Turns out it wasn't the fuse, that killed the power to the alarm/immobiliser. Pulling it must've sort of reset the circuit.

Anyway, got the alarm/immobilser (Gemini unit) off the vehicle and exposed the circuit board. Plugged it all back in and tried locking/unlocking. There are about 4 small relays on the board which all click in sequence and make the indicators flash on and off (among other things I assume). One of these must be sticking.

Question now is, where can I get this checked/repaired? When it's off the vehicle I can't start it, when It's on the indicators are stuck on. How do you (can you without damaging it?) check relays on a circuit board?

Upshot is at least I know where the fault is...

All I can suggest is taking to to Maplins and buying a new set of relays, replacing all of them - I wouldn't know which would cause the fault.

www.Remotekey.co.uk sells new LR alarm units and I think he overhauls old units, so you could try him. When my RRC's fobs packed up, I bought a new two-button unit from him and he gave me a list of optional features that LR disable, like auto re-lock (relocks the doors if they aren't opened within 20 seconds of unlocking), auto-unlock in an accident, automatic reactivation of the immobiliser if the car is unlocked and a door opened but the engine not started within 20 seconds. There are more, but I had those activated at no extra cost, and he provides an adaptor harness to connect that later unit into the RR's existing loom.

• 2 months later...

Just to finish this one off for future reference. Took the circuit board out of the Gemini box and gave it a bloody good clean with contact cleaner from Maplin. Two months on and it is still fine.

Always first thing to try... A bloody good clean :)