Tyre Deflators And Reinflating Again!

Jon White

After borrowing Tonk's Staun deflators at Slindon the other week I was very impressed with them, and think I might just have to invest in a set!

However it got me thinking - blowing them back up again for the trip home! I've got an ARB compressor so no problems there, but its the slowest thing in the world and its realy boring to have to sit by it and keep checking the tyres pressure. So is there such a thing that I can use that will connect in between, such that it will cut off when the tyre is re-inflated to a pre-set pressure??

Anyone got anything like that?

Jon

How about a cutoff switch off a workshop compressor? I don't know if they could be set as low as 30psi or whatever you are running for road use, but that is something designed to cut off a compressor at a set pressure :)

Otherwise - simple but should work - you could time how long it takes to go from 15psi to 30psi with an ARB compressor and just have one of those beepy kitchen countdown timers, set it for 5 min or however long it needs and it will tell you when to go for a look

The tecnligy is there because you can get a £10 halford joby that will inflat the tyres but like the ARB compressor it take a week to pump up a set of simex Ali (my brother )had a dive bottle which was grate but you manaly set the presure but it only took a few minets to do a 4 tyres.

A mate was looking a using CO2 bottles as in liquid it will hold much more presure that the air bottle but I don't know much more on the subject.

The dive bottle had enough air to do eg 100 sets of tyres and costs a £1 or £2 to fill back up at the local dive shop all well and good if like me you live close to the sea.

Soda Stream type bottle? I have a "valve" on the end of mine which does my beer barrels, it would be easy to braze another bit on the end to fit a tyre valve.

Then all you would have to do is push the bottle onto the tyre instead of the barrel and fsssssssssssssssssh up it would go :)

Exactly - you can get a halfrauds one to do it, but as I've got the ARB comrpessor i'm reluctant to carry another compressor around. I dont care that it takes a while, just so long as I dont have to watch it and i can rely on it to cut off when its got to pressure. I only run mine at 25 psi. Dive bottles again - something else to lug about............

Jon

Have you got room to fit an air tank in somewhere?

That way you could fill it over time using the ARB compressor, then be able to quickly inflate the tyres by emptying the tank.

Increased wear on the ARB compressor, but i wouldn't think it would be anyore than inflating the tyres directly, and it would depend on what pressure the ARB compressor will pump to.

Luke

Jon, I've used the ARB compressor to reinflate tyres and it isn't much fun; it takes ages and it gets seriously hot. I've now got a dive bottle (Ali's old one) and its superb. V V V fast (it did 8 35" Simex from 18 psi to 30 psi in about 5 minutes) and lasts a while (said inflation used about a third of a tank). My local place is quite expensive £4 a fill but its only a couple of miles away so its dead easy to do before a weekend! As far as storage goes, have you thought about making a recess in the floor where it could sit under the spare tyre? That way its protected and out of the way.

An additional small reg between your arb tank or the co2 would do the trick (or just turn down the one on the co2). Set it to the pressure you want, pop the hose onto the tire and leave it.

BTW those deflators, how to you calibrate them and how accurate are they?

u calibrate em by turning the knurled lock ring, set and re lock. once set they stay there

Then refit to the tyre, let it deflate, remove, remeasure, readjust the deflator and repeat? Sorry, I can see they have adjustment just not how you measure what they are set at.

Guess it would be easy to mark the deflators for front and rear.

Thanks M.

At the mo I'm just sticking to 18 front and 15 rear though it occured to me after (you never think of these things at the time) that with no rear wheel drive at Slindon I might have benefited form raising the rear pressures.

I'd like to go lower, mayby 12 front 10 rear, to start with but how low have people taken their simex without beadlocks AND without dropping the bead off the rim?

I ran my front simex all day at slindon at 12 psi and evenwhen I rolled they did not come off the bead,

I have allso run them at 25psi and cought them against a tree stump and they have come off the bead.

What is the minimum pressure that the arb's require to engage?

there is a pressure switch itted on the side of the arb compressor could this be replaced with one of a lower value 30 psi ish.

ARB needs 85-100 though they will engage at 50. You need a seperate feed from the regulated side (manifold) with a second reg you can set to 8, 10, 25 or whatever takes your fancy.

And I'd second Hyphose.

hyp hose should have summat

Tonk,

This is not a sensible suggestion.

Unless either you (and you would have said) or I (and I haven't) have some freebies in either of our garages.

This would mean Mr J W actually having to BUY something..

Really Tonk, I'm suprised at you..........

Nige :ph34r:

PS Really Glad my PCs working, cos that the bridge well and truly burnt away....... :D

I think that ARB's need 100-110psi IIRC.

I have a small 3l dive bottle at home just sitting there, hadn't thought about using this. Anyone know where I would get some converters to fit to the dive bottle DIN connector

Cheers

Steve

As tonk said try hyphose. Gave it to them came back seconds later with the right connectors and cost a couple of Quid

hyp hose should have summat

Tonk,

This is not a sensible suggestion.

Unless either you (and you would have said) or I (and I haven't) have some freebies in either of our garages.

This would mean Mr J W actually having to BUY something..

Really Tonk, I'm suprised at you..........

Nige :ph34r:

PS Really Glad my PCs working, cos that the bridge well and truly burnt away....... :D

not a sensible suggestion?!?!?!?!

wot, from u? never ;)

After borrowing Tonk's Staun deflators at Slindon the other week I was very impressed with them, and think I might just have to invest in a set!

However it got me thinking - blowing them back up again for the trip home! I've got an ARB compressor so no problems there, but its the slowest thing in the world and its realy boring to have to sit by it and keep checking the tyres pressure. So is there such a thing that I can use that will connect in between, such that it will cut off when the tyre is re-inflated to a pre-set pressure??

Anyone got anything like that?

Jon

Ive got tyre deflators there great just get a compressor thats quicker my electric comp will put my tyres from 6psi to 18psi in 2 1/2 minutes . :D

What sort of price are the deflators available at? I too have seen 'em used as was pretty impressed!

Nothing beats using an air-con pump as a compressor! best part of 10 cfm - plenty enough for running air tools and will inflate almost as fast as a dive bottle!

Si