Discovery 1 tyre size ( `t`bag )

coachman

Thank you teabag ( I lurv that name )for your info re tyres ,you say tyres are /should be 235/70/16 what is the rolling circumfrence ? .

My tyres are 205/80/16 with a rolling circumference of 92" ,I have a sneeky suspicion that the car may be over geared giving me a` slower than normal ` set off speed and a poor pick up speed .I have had the car up to 70 mph ,which frankly is fast enough .

ALTHOUGH WEIGHING IN AT ALMOST 2 TONS ,I find my car quite igile and is square and compact compaired to a td5 Discovery .The `large` tyres set its stance of nicely and I have noticed `it does look a bit different ` to other Discoveries of that type .Possibly to its tyres ( which were on when bought .

Coachman .

( now going to set carbs up on m/bike )

I dont pretend to understand the gearing etc but i have had 4 different tyre sizes on my disco as follows :- 205/80/16 road tyres when i bought it. It could achive 75-80 comfortably on these but was very slow to pick up. I replaced those with a set of 235/70/16 mud tyres and apart from increased road noise i found no difference in the acceleration or comfortable cruising speed. These were replaced by 235/85/16 all terrains and then i found it was noticeably faster to accelerate but 80 was a struggle. I now also have a set of mud terrains in 265/75/16 flavour and these perform much the same as the all terrains in terms of acceleration and comfortable cruising.

Mark

The first two are the same gearing and the last two are the same gearing. The taller tyres (the last two) are over-gearing a Discovery in 5th hence you are struggling at the higher speeds. I'm surprised you think it was faster accelerating though, smaller dia tyres normally favour acceleration.