Wiring issues!

mikec

Ok guys I've put this in here as hopefully ill get more replies/help :)

So bit of background I've just done a bulkhead and engine swap. The only thing really changed, regarding the loom is an extra wire from the new alt to the battery.

So I've been working on it today with the aim of firing the engine up. Connected the batteries up, turned ignition on battery light lit up as usual, I tested the oil lamp, then connected that up. Then checked headlights etc, all worked ok. Horn too. So came to start her up, sounded a little slow starting, turned over but didn't run. Tried a couple of times, then flattened the batteries. So hooked up the Astra to jump it, turns the ignition switch and nothing, no ignition lights. Tried the horn, nothing, put the lights on, no lights but have a the ignition lights come on dim! Also the full beam turned on the ignition lights too!

Now I know I'm probably not going to get a diagnosis with this description but does anyone have any ideas or starting points? Cheers mike

I'll have a look. The one from engine to chassis is on, I remember seeing it. Where are there any others? Obviously the battery earth, what about bulkhead? Could it be that's not earthing to the chassis? I put a new one on with tons of paint, seems unlikely it wouldn't earth somewhere though?

Tons of paint? On what exactly? You know paint doesn't conduct electricity, yes?

Haha yeah I know it doesn't conduct, that's what I was wondering. Some of the wires in the engine bay earth onto the bulkhead, could it be possible that the bulkhead isn't earthing to the chassis because of all the paint?

Just got in now so I'm gonna have a good look before it gets too dark

Ok I tried a jump lead between battery and gearbox and everything was ok, so ill fit a new earth lead. I've also took the winch off too so I'm thinking maybe the earth for that which went to the battery was earthing the whole lot before.

Cheers guys

Maybe this is the problem, I have/had engine to chassis and negative terminal to chassis. I'm gonna run a new negative terminal to the chassis and also one from that point to the gearbox, should cover most things?

Yes, this is better, better again is one from the battery to chassis, and one from battery to starter motor bolt, that way one less electrical connection to go squiffy.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update, I've been getting by with running a jump lead from battery to earth since this post, I finally got round to doing the passenger tubular outrigger which the earth runs to, it pretty much fell apart in my hand, the wire coming out of the crimp without barely touching it!

So cheers guys for the top advice :)