Degreaser alternatives

disco_al

I like the orange bottled degreaser from Lidl, Cillit bang does wonders too.

There was a citrus power degreaser I saw on youtube that they showed being used to clean an engine bay but I have never seen it in shops.

What you looking to clean up Al?

If you have one of those steam wall paper strippers they are great for cleaning up engines and stuff, in combination with cillit bang it really worked well on an old 3.5 V8 I was doing up.

just want to get all the old grime off my engine (now i've postponed it leaking marking it's territory)

Corrected for accuracy ;)

I gotta do the same when it stops freezing here but because I need to find out where it is leaking from so I can stop it, can't tell if it's from the rocker cover or the sump it's that bad under the bonnet....

There's a fantastic degreaser by a company called Astonish - it's usually a pound for a large squirty bottle, and is the best stuff I've ever used.

Lots of the poundshops sell it - theres a link on the website for stockists.

Ridiculously good for a quid - I went to the wholesalers earlier and bought a case as it only costs me a pound to fully degrease an engine bay, gearbox an axles :)

AMAZINGLY

Halfords Degreaser in a Blue squirty bottle won hands down on the Practical Classics tests against about 20 others !

I dubiously tried it and was stunned, it IS good, and its cheap (cheaper even with a Trade card :D )

There you go, the words "Halfords, and Good" ......and both in the same post :lol:

Nige

I like the idea of the steamer dieseldog, must give that a try when I get a chance ..... how effective is it?

I doused my engine liberally with the spray bottle of cillit bang and then started from the top to the bottom with the needle nozzle on the steamer and a scrubbing brush, scrub a little and then let the steamer do the rest, the needle nozzle is good but it is not as powerful as those high pressure steamers!!! but then again I don't like them nor the idea of pressure washing an engine as I always worry that the pressure wil push water where I don't want it!!!

I will be doing mine shortly(when it stops freezing) and will try and do a little write up if anyone wants?

There's a fantastic degreaser by a company called Astonish - it's usually a pound for a large squirty bottle, and is the best stuff I've ever used.

Lots of the poundshops sell it - theres a link on the website for stockists.

Ridiculously good for a quid - I went to the wholesalers earlier and bought a case as it only costs me a pound to fully degrease an engine bay, gearbox an axles :)

I like the look of that, it's British and looks to have been developed in an environmentally sound way. How the by-products of using it are disposed of is another matter :glare:

Nige, can you remember how much the Halfords stuff was after discount?

Cheers, H.

Slight thread hijack but i feel its a relevant question. What do people use to clean up after their landy has leaked (marked its territory) on the driveway?

This is also my problem I don't think my neighbors would be pleased with an oil slick running down the lane. getting it off the engine is easy compared to keeping the lane clean. I've considered using an old blanket on the floor to catch the mess but I am unsure how effective it would be.

This is also my problem I don't think my neighbors would be pleased with an oil slick running down the lane. getting it off the engine is easy compared to keeping the lane clean. I've considered using an old blanket on the floor to catch the mess but I am unsure how effective it would be.

When I'm doing stuff that I know will dump oil or carp on the floor/road I put a concrete mixing tray down to catch it. You can then pour it into a bucket, any spillage has an emulsifying degreaser scrubbed into it and a bucket of water thrown over it.

The Astonish stuff makes oil/grease really soluble - you just have to spray it on, leave for a couple of minutes then show it a hose and it washes away incredibly well.

Because it makes it so soluble it doesn't leave a black oily stain on the floor - I just chase the debris down the drive with a hose into the drain. According to the technical data It's designed to wash down the drain as well.

When I had a bit of a drip from the T box I used sand! Its a block paved drive, the bricks are like sponges, so a little pile of sand where the oil had dripped lifted some of the oil and colored the block paving hiding the stain. As time goes by it does seem to fade.

Interesting on the Swarfega for cleaning the garage floor, is that the hand stuff? I've got that to do when I can make some space.

The best thing to use on engines/gearbox is 100% biodiesel and then an engine wash/spray once things soften up. When blended with petroleum it also causes the petroleum to bio-degrade at the same rate that biodiesel does normally. The one drawback is you cannot do it on anything with oil-based paint or over tarmac as both are held together with oil and biodiesel is such a good solvent it will remove the oil from the paint and asphalt. It is also not volatile like gasoline is; never ever use a volatile cleaner unless the part is away from your vehicle and you're 100% sure you can remove it all properly because a little bit of static and you might be having bigger issues.