TD5 Exaust collector

Hi everybody

I own a td5 m.y. 2000 with the engine tuned at 150 hp,it performs very well but when towing a caravan uphill at full power there is a sissing noise probebly from the exaust

collector,the collector is bending at very high temperatures and the gasket can't take it any longer.The noise disapears after 5 minutes when the engine is running in normel conditions (50/60% power output).

I know that Land Rover made a mistake by making the exaust collector (of a 5 cylinder) in one piece.(they made several other faults aswell but thats an other story).

Now my question: Is there a good solution fror this problem?? Or is there an alternative solution on the market somewhere ???

It could be a snapped stud on the manifold, rather than just gasket failure/warped manifold.

I've seen people cutting out the webbed area of the manifold to allow it to flex more:

StYExhaustMansdn.jpg

Theres also stud upgrades available which let you fit bigger studs to the head.

Skim it flat, cut out the webbing, replace the studs with new ones, fit new gasket, then refit manifold. Easy job, just the ost of skimming at about £35-40

Andy

Sound advice and thats what I would do. Manifolds that have previously warped then been skimmed seem immune to further warping.

Steve.