The £4000.00 question...

ruggerbugger

Hi,

First post here, so hi to all.

I have £4000.00 or so, and I would like to purchase a Freelander (TD4, auto or manual). I have never owned a Land Rover before and I'm hoping for some information regarding the mk1's.

From looking around, it seems I can either buy a very high mileage facelift model (2004/2005) or a low mileage, tidy, full service history etc. pre-facelift (2002/2003). Apart from the cosmetics of the facelift, what other benefits are there? Is there any major mechanical benefits to the facelift I should know about? I'd love a facelift HSE model, but it seems it's just out of my reach and before deciding on a non facelift I just wanted to check whether I should hold out for one or not..

Any advice really appreciated.

Cheers,

RB.

I'm not an owner, but sister in law nearly bought one. The one thing I've picked up recently is that doing the clutch can be a pig. On that basis, I'd either study the recent-ish issue of LRM which covered a clutch change, or buy one thats had a new clutch and hydraulic pack fitted. The one thing that kept recuring when I was asking around was the importance of the hydraulic pack.

I'm not an owner, but sister in law nearly bought one. The one thing I've picked up recently is that doing the clutch can be a pig. On that basis, I'd either study the recent-ish issue of LRM which covered a clutch change, or buy one thats had a new clutch and hydraulic pack fitted. The one thing that kept recuring when I was asking around was the importance of the hydraulic pack.

Thanks for the reply. It seems like the TD4 auto is the way forward then? To be honest, I've never driven an auto before but talking to people who have, they thouroughly recommend it.

If I did decide on a TD4 auto, is it worth holding out for a facelift model do you think?

Thanks.

Thanks for the reply. It seems like the TD4 auto is the way forward then? To be honest, I've never driven an auto before but talking to people who have, they thouroughly recommend it.

If I did decide on a TD4 auto, is it worth holding out for a facelift model do you think?

Thanks.

I've had TD4 manual and TD4 auto. Personally, I would go for a manual due to fuel consumption. Auto box can be troublesome and you'll need to re mortgage if it breaks. TD4 clutch is pretty much the same as any modern car with a Dual Mass Flywheel and Concentric Slave Cylinder. Only replace the flywheel if it's showing signs of damage.

Clutch will last about 80K or so depending on driver, so not exactly a regular expense.

Facelift will always hold a premium, so get one if you can. I sold my 05 TD4 Sport auto about a year ago and got 4250 for it, so you will get a facelift for under 4K.

Facelift will always hold a premium, so get one if you can. I sold my 05 TD4 Sport auto about a year ago and got 4250 for it, so you will get a facelift for under 4K.

Thanks for the info - it looks like I'm going to try to hold out for a facelift then. I'm still undecided in regards to auto or manual so will have a look at both as they become available. Not seeing any in my area at the moment though...

As Egg said, Auto's do use more fuel. I've driven auto's, its one less thing to do, and it seems to be on the up that offroaders have auto's now. If my knees don't improve then I'll have to convert our 109's to auto before I retire.

Again, the clutch will last a long time, its not an annual job, I'm just saying do a bit of reasearch about what has to be done to change it, especially if you're likely to do it yourself.

I'd have a manual.

The td4 auto is an excellent auto , (got two of them) it helps with the lack of a low range , and they will do high mileages without trouble , not all faults are catastrophic . can be as simple as a solenoid ! , but a lot of people panic when somthing happens and think they are up for a new box. The bigger liability with freelanders of all flavours is the VCU (joins the front to rear to give ondemand 4wd ) . HTSH

Thanks guys. There doesn't seem to be too many TD4 five door facelifts in my area either auto or manual, so I suppose it's just a waiting game. Thanks very much for the information on the VCU too. I've checked other threads concerning this and I'm a little worried that buying a second hand car might be out of my league as there seems to be quite a lot to check for - this is where you want your best friend to be a mechanic, and, unfortunately he isn't. :unsure:

Hi Ruggerbugger, welcome to the potential world of Freelander ownership.

I was in the same position as you a year ago, wanted one, but was concerned by the possible problems highlighted on 4x4 forums.

I bought a TD4 Manual and have not looked back since. Absolutely no major problems (had to replace an alternator, that could happen on any car) and am loving it. I would always look for the lowest mileage you can find in your price range and a full service history. It's true that the manual version is noticeably more economical, but the auto is nice to drive (my son has one). They are also relatively easy to work on. Spares are plentiful and not too expensive except for the really important bits.

LR ownership will bring you into an interesting and friendly world, with new places and scenes to visit at weekends even if you don't offroad. Yes they are slow, heavy and old fashioned in feel, but there is something that makes them grow on you.

The biggest problem is that you start wanting a Disco or a Defender to do up as well.

Good luck in your search.