Propshaft Vibrations (New Shaft)

ajh

Has anyone run into fairly severe vibration with a newly fitted front propshaft? This one is from a 'major vendor' but not LR original. There isn't any obvious free-play but it vibrates worse than the one I was using temporarily off another vehicle which was clearly extended too far on the spline and you could both see and feel it flexing at the slip-joint.

Presumably a vendor is liable if a shaft is shipped unbalanced? Returning it would be prohibitively expensive in this case; do I have the right to a 'local repair' in this case? (it did originate in the UK)

Removed the shaft; vibration vanished. No play in either pinion or TC bearings both have less than 40K KM on them. It is not a Britpart. I can take the shaft to a local rebuilder on Monday to get it checked for balance; but they can only test to 3K RPM.

The vehicle has about 2" of lift; corrected front arms, and the flanges are not perfectly parallel but they're fairly close. The last shaft did not vibrate like this.

Check that the yokes on the centre part of the shaft are phased properly; if they're not you need to pull the two halves of the shaft apart where they spline into each-other and rotate the two halves the necessary amount to get the phasing right.

[Must admit, I consider the yokes-and-spider universal-joint with its non-uniform transmission-of-angular-momentum as it rotates, to be something which should have been done away with decades ago: proper sealed constant-velocity joints do the job so much more smoothly and put less of a load on the transmission components too]

Well, they did come from one of the large LR vendors; but does anyone know how much phasing there should be? Presumably with a lift if you shift it over one spline in the right direction some of the vibration should vanish?

Thanks; yes that's more or less what I thought. I guess I'll need to take it to the shop for balancing to see how off it is and if it could be that. The phase does look to be right. Of course I just discovered that one front shock has leaked out about 1/5th of its oil which explains the odd handling I was getting... (finally) so many possible things to check when things don't feel right.