Mounting LED Lights from the Group Buy

It seems a life time ago that the lights arrived and I'm sure most of you have them fitted by now, however a few of you have asked about mounting suggestions I will post up photos of how mine are mounted but feel free to post your ideas up here.

Jason.

light-1.jpg

light-2.jpg

(quick clamps are not the recommended fixing method ;) )

I got a company called Roc-Ard (http://www.roc-ard.co.uk/) to make me up a custom light bar with mounting tabs to suit the bar - it came to about £50 all in. I have no connection with them but I thought it was good value for something not off the shelf... It's very nicely made too, well worth it (but if you go order one based on the dimensions I gave, I measured the mounting holes badly so they would need slotting a bit...)

I could show you a photo of the small one I bought... it is on the side in the garage :blush:

By the way =jon=, have you checked your palms recently? Your car seems to have the dreaded 'black spot', if your hands do too then I believe pirate-lore says your time is up?

I could show you a photo of the small one I bought... it is on the side in the garage :blush:

By the way =jon=, have you checked your palms recently? Your car seems to have the dreaded 'black spot', if your hands do too then I believe pirate-lore says your time is up?

There his go faster holes it adds 10mph to the top end and helps offset the go slower defender design!!

Anyone know the current raw on the type ones ??

Thexwires are tiny almost wondering if a relay is needed ??

N

It should be 3 amps at 12v but I measured one of mine and it was nearer 2.5 amps

EDIT: No need for a relay .... current is so small you could probably just stick the wires in your mouth instead of bothering with a switch :P

Nige, the max draw we had on the 42" bar was about 15v with the engine running it dropped to about 14.5ish.

The 7" draws about 3amp.

I didn't check my total current draw last night, but with all my lights on the alternator is maxing out at 86A...oops... That is with 1 x 42" LED bar, 1 x 7" LED bar, 4 x spots, 4 x 18W LED light engines + cooling fans.

G

Hopefully fitting my two work lights in the next few days. I'm going to use two cb aireal gutter brackets to fit mine to the back of the Disco. I will be able to point them to the side if I need to.

Ok, tried fitting my work lights on the cb brackets I got and just not going to work. Having with the gutter being lower either side of of the back door the lights are either in the way of the door or sticking to far out the side and vunrerable. So i am going bolt them through the roof. I would like to be able to turn them to the side if needed so what would be the best way of doing this and keeping them water tight?

You want a fixed fitting through the roof or it'll leak. A very crude way would be to put a long setscrew through from inside with a repair washer, smear in gunk of your choice, then repair washer and nut and gunk on top and do up tight. On the remaining exposed shank of the bolt use the common 'U' bracket that most lights seem to come with, and a fit this over the bolt. Use a wing nut then to hold in place. When you want to move it then you're not disturbing the seal around the roof, and it shouldn't leak.

• 3 weeks later...