Fuel pumps

ThreePointFive

I'm just starting to get my MS build together (trying to work out what is missing from my engine has stalled it quite badly).

I have been going through Microcat and I've noticed there are several fuel pumps for petrol Defenders, some specifically for EFI, some not

I have the standard 3.5 carb in-tank pump, is this going to work with megasquirt or am I going to run into some issue with this? It's clearly defined as not being for EFI in the Catalogue, so any pointers would be a massive help.

Yes, I did try the search function first.

Carb pump won't work, Nige has details on how to convert for EFI in his big MS build thread, I believe.

It is pretty easy to do TBH, once you have a pump or two on the bench, you can make them any length you want by adding hose and a plate of steel/aluminium.

I fitted a volvo 850 pump I found on Ebay. I bought for £3 + 5 postage to Greece. It fits perfectly in place of the in tank carb pump with no alteration.

It was same with this one,http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLVO-850-S70-V70-FUEL-PUMP-1993-2000-INCLUDING-T5-CARS-/221182063833?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item337f7a74d9 much lower price.

I had to dismantle and fit.

Very helpful, thanks guys. I don't know why the search function seems to find nothing I want when I use it.

What is the reason why the carb pump won't work with EFI? I had thought that as long as it pumps, it would supply the engine, which would use it?!

I might look at pricing up the 50th anniversary pump instead, as it's a LR part and wouldn't require any mods. I expect it's hideously expensive, in which case the RR EFi pump is my next favourite option.

IIRC the fuel injection pumps runabout 100PSI, but the regulator on the fuel line drops it to 30PSI, which is what the injectors need, 7PSI, which is what I think the carb pumps produce just wouldn't produce enough fuel or spray pattern through the injector :)

I don't know, but I expect the RR pump is a LOT cheaper than the 50th anniversary one, and as you say very easy to mod.