What is this wire for?

Dorsetfreelander

Hello, I have a TD4 SE 2004 reg 84K miles. I was checking it over today prior to the MOT and had the rear driver's side wheel off checking the rear brake shoes and noticed a wire hanging down behind the wheel arch cover. I removed the wheel arch cover to expose what you can see in the image below. Does anyone know what this wire is for? The connector still has the remains of a rusty spade terminal in it but I can't see where it came from. The car seems to run OK and there are no warning lights on. Thanks.

post-5249-0-82014000-1361295687_thumb.jpg

post-5249-0-89663100-1361295963_thumb.jpg

Hello, I have a TD4 SE 2004 reg 84K miles. I was checking it over today prior to the MOT and had the rear driver's side wheel off checking the rear brake shoes and noticed a wire hanging down behind the wheel arch cover. I removed the wheel arch cover to expose what you can see in the image below. Does anyone know what this wire is for? The connector still has the remains of a rusty spade terminal in it but I can't see where it came from. The car seems to run OK and there are no warning lights on. Thanks.

I THINK, but not 100% certain that itconnects to the body of the pump.

Thanks for that, just for clarity can you have a look at this image? I assume that we are talking about the item ringed in red. Are there two pumps in a TD4? I understand that there is one in the fuel tank already. Also what would I order if I wanted a replacement, I can't see anything that looks like this on any of the ebay suppliers.

post-5249-0-60866300-1361359425_thumb.jpg