Volvo C202 build

Dan

You may already be a aware of it, but try looking at a 101fc gear leaver setup, can't beat it for simplicity.

http://users.comcen.com.au/~peterp/Misc/IMG_7370-3.jpg

That's the way i'm planning on going with the lt85 gear selector, we are mocking up plan C at the moment though! so the lt85 might not even be used.

Have you driven a C202 in anger offroad Dan? I am only guessing, but the rear facing spring shackles on the front suspension is similar to a Series LR, so would likely axle tramp, hop and pig root like LR's too without some form of wrap control.

I haven't even seen another one in the flesh other than this one Bill! but i agree the front axle will need some wrap control.

I was debating a linked suspension system, but utimate offroad capability will have to be sacrificed in favour of load carrying so if 35's and twin lockers won't get it through we'll have taken the wrong turn somewhere

• 2 weeks later...

Happy pressbrake day! Give us the specs

Thanks mate! It's only a baby press we wouldn't fit much bigger in the shed,

It's a Barnes 15ton 4foot down stroking pressbrake, so 2/2.5mm to 4foot. Which is just the same as our old keetona folder.

It should cope with 3mm@18" and hopefully 6mm@6" for suspension brackets as long as I use a nice wide V.

How did the cab come up ? I know sofa is gentle but I guess it can still uncover surprises.

I plan to use soda on my S1 - I tried some on the galvanised fitting and it did a really good job of cleaning them up well without making them look new (or damaging it of course). Be good for your Willys :)

I have always thought the axle tramp on the front axle of a series has helped on steep inclines where there are steps. It sort of hops up them. :0)

The axle tramp helping climbing is an illusion Mikey, just think how easily a climb could be if the tractive effort from the front axle was constant?

Not only mission creep but a major workshop tidy by the looks of it, I almost didn't recognise it without the Chevette in it.

The chevette's eviction was long overdue, the workshop had become so full of stuff/junk there was no where really to work. Hopefully we can keep it tidy so we can work in the workshop and store our carp elsewhere!

How did the cab come up ? I know sofa is gentle but I guess it can still uncover surprises.

I plan to use soda on my S1 - I tried some on the galvanised fitting and it did a really good job of cleaning them up well without making them look new (or damaging it of course). Be good for your Willys :)

Soda is quite gentle but apparently it won't touch rust, so we went for glass as a media. The volvo cab has come out very well no hidden problems,

The glass blasting has actually made my willys body look better in a more honest less filler kind of way :-)

Some pics of the cab,

DSC_0289_zpszvqrp9n8.JPG

DSC_0290_zpsruja2tnh.JPG

DSC_0291_zps9ceynmge.JPG

DSC_0292_zpswzbbjfbk.JPG

The axle tramp helping climbing is an illusion Mikey, just think how easily a climb could be if the tractive effort from the front axle was constant?

ill take that as a compliment to my driving then haha looking forward to seeing some more great fab in this project

Nice, looking forward to some of your sweet fabwork on this thing! How much you reckon that cab weighs? Should be a quite light offroader

The bare cab is around 120kg I think, it's an uncomfortable carry for two people.

Cab looks quite good and repairable Dan. Are you making a complete chassis ?Workshop looks great. Is that at home, or at work? I will very soon have free unfettered access to a similarly equipped shop, but I'm afraid my drive and enthusiasm is not as strong as it once was.

We are going reuse the original front half of the chassis as it's in quite decent condition, this is our home workshop, our commercial premises are tailored solely for car maintenance,

I think once you have access to some equipment again your enthusiasm will return especially if you get a nice gq patrol as a daily so you can sink all you efforts and imagination into wildfing!

I think once you have access to some equipment again your enthusiasm will return especially if you get a nice gq patrol as a daily so you can sink all you efforts and imagination into wildfing!

It's not so much the lack of enthusiasm for building. I can drive my standard ish looking Stage One V8 half way round Australia without getting pulled over for roadside checks even once. Yet a recent 100 mile road trip in a mates nicely modified and conservatively driven 40 series saw us being hauled over twice at random breath testing stations for vehicle and engineering certificate inspection. So much time lost and frustration just to travel a hundred miles. Becoming a regular occurrence going by the reports of other 4wders. Building a vehicle just to use on private land gets a bit old after a while, especially as we have so many fantastic areas to explore.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

No progress yet mate, but I am pretty much finished on the re-wire at last.

The pressbrake is working but limited to about 20" due to lack of tooling, the lathe is also working I cannot find any of my boring and threading tools so functionality is also limited. The mma and the big mig are fully functional though.

As is the big compressor I bought off Less Brock, I bought it in 2007 and last weekend was the first time it's ran since I've owned it!

DSC_0421_zpsq1cmknmt.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

After a little planing and measuring we've decided on a 110" wheelbase with a 11' by 6' bed, so today we made a start on the chassis,

Cleared some space in what's beginning to be a tidy and organized workshop.

DSC_0451_zpsjcply8d2.jpg

Cleaned and prepared the front half,

DSC_0452_zpshqiyfsmy.jpg

DSC_0453_zps3pmzkx4s.jpg

Only took 5 hours to set the pressbrake up to make the C channels to strengthen the joint! Then about 30 seconds to do the same for the other side

DSC_0454_zpsbwbyjqnw.jpg

DSC_0455_zpsxnwdlvmc.jpg

DSC_0456_zpse8oqkv7c.jpg

One chassis rail done

DSC_0458_zps2q99afsh.jpg

Good progress, looks like the pressbrake is a useful addition :)

I cannot see in the pics - where will the c sections go - are they internal or external to the rails?

Have you made a decision on the engine and gearbox combination now?

What will the load bed be? Will it be a flat bed or will you construct drop sides, a tipper or something else?