serious female car negligence.. left speechless

Landy-Novice

so my day at college begun with a woman rolling into our work shop complaining that there was a serious vibration (which would explain why she didnt bring it in straight away :rofl: ) when braking. so we had a look down the nearside and was amazed at the paintwork..

post-30771-0-73907800-1361471342_thumb.jpg

lots or metal filings and small shards melted into the paint work and inner wings and left to rust making it look awful!. so removed wheel to find the caliper pi$$ing out brake fluid. then look behind the disc and was left speechless.

post-30771-0-30569600-1361471514_thumb.jpg

(if its not clear, that the vented part inside the disc.)

OMFG.. :o she has certainly had he money's worth and the pads were down to metal...

on the other hand, it REALLY Mildly miffed me off that she left it so long before getting it looked at.

we're talking about a 2tonne+ jeep which has a 4.7L V8 pushing it along... could of easily ended badly. :angry2:

imho, until you can maintain your own vehicle/ getting an issue sorted asap., you shouldn't own, let alone drive one!

Could easily have passed an MOT reasonable recently, as said once it is down to metal to metal the disc goes pretty quickly, being a 4.7 jeep means it is almost certainly an auto so brae wear tends to be higher (no engine braking).

Discs and pads thickness is an MOT issue but if the discs had covers on the backs and a solid enough wheel on the front then they cannot be seen, an MOT test does not take a vehicle apart so they can only test bits they can see.

I know we have several tester on here so maybe one of those could comment and correct me if needed.

You're right, check the toyota on this link to see the real service limit for disks http://www.rhel.co.uk/workshop/yota/yota.htm

yota2.jpg

yota3.jpg

Wow that is impressive.

Other problem I have seen before was a disc breaking off from the central hub, I think it was on a Ford and I am not sure where the disc came from.

Similar to the origional case it had clearly been drive for quite some time as each time the brake was applied the braking surface stopped and rubbed against the hub section, the wear showed it had been doing this for a while. The female owner hadn't even mentioned a problem, the car was in with a friend for a yearly service and MOT. When questions she admitted it had been making funny noises and pulling to one side when braking for a while but it still stopped so she just kept going. The other side of the car looked OK (we changed both discs and pads anyway of cause) so we assume the disc had a material fault of some type.

Wow that is impressive.

Other problem I have seen before was a disc breaking off from the central hub, I think it was on a Ford and I am not sure where the disc came from.

Quite a common problem if one of the caliper pistons has seized: the entire force of the un-seized caliper piston is then pushing the disc to one side and after a few thousand miles [or a really heavy brake application] the disc cracks-free from the 'bell' part.

Amateurs! My adorable (she's watching me type....) wife turned a V8 into a V6 and kept on driving, ran another V8 for about 60 miles with no oil pressure (what does the red oilcan light on the dashboard mean?), but her crowning glory was driving a classic mini about 60 miles on a flat rear tire, she got home and informed me that there was an odd thumping noise from the backend, went out to have a look and there gobs of melted rubber all over the car....

Wow that is impressive.

Similar to the origional case it had clearly been drive for quite some time as each time the brake was applied the braking surface stopped and rubbed against the hub section, the wear showed it had been doing this for a while. The female owner hadn't even mentioned a problem, the car was in with a friend for a yearly service and MOT. When questions she admitted it had been making funny noises and pulling to one side when braking for a while but it still stopped so she just kept going. The other side of the car looked OK (we changed both discs and pads anyway of cause) so we assume the disc had a material fault of some type.

We had a series 2a brought in once as it was pulling severely to one side under braking, when the wheel was removed from the non working side there was a nice cast iron ring around the brake shoes and a cast iron disk attached to the hub.

I've been through a set of Mintex 171 front pads on a rally.

We had many a car in workshops with bonded linings on one side and rivited on the other.

How about a Fiesta. Been serviced. Brought in for next service. Disc one side front. Drum the other side.

Then the car coming off the transportet. Steeing wheel on the right, pedals on the left.