TD5 Fuel pump query

mcc1979ian

Hi, iv just been out changing the in tank pump in my Disco TD5 after having the old one checked and being confirmed faulty. It was making the vehicle misfire slightly. On installing the new one (allmakes not genuine) i now find the engine wont fire up so i reinstalled the old one and it wont fire up with that either. Do i need to bleed it somewhere or am i missing something obvious?

Ok been out and tried that procedure but it just refuses to fire. Its just like its not getting fuel. Actually have a suspicion that the pumps not operating. Will check the fuses once the snow eventually dies down. Surely it cant be the pump as iv tried both old and new and neither sound like they are pumping and i know it did start with the old one. Could i have maybe made a boo boo and put one of the pipes in the wrong order?

Do the "purge" cycle: Hold throttle-pedal fully down, turn key to the point where the lights come on and at the same time pump the throttle-pedal several times.

Then leave it for a few minutes. You should hear the fuel-pump whirring [and various swooshing/gurgling/bubbling sounds as the air is purged].

After a while the fuel-pump will stop whirring. Switch off ignition, wait 20-30 seconds and repeat the "purge" cycle.

Do this 3 or 4 times, then try to start the engine.

If you can't hear the pump whirring you have a problem.

if you have a multi meter make sure the pump is getting power. it does sound to me like there is no power to the pump as you didnt change the filters so when you switch on and turn over it would try to fire as the pump would push fuel to the injectors.

also crack 1 of the injectors and turn ignition on to see if fuel is coming through

Cant actually hear the pump working when the ignitions turned on

you should hear a noise coming from the pump, so am leaning more and more to the no power to the pump theory

also crack 1 of the injectors and turn ignition on to see if fuel is coming through

you should hear a noise coming from the pump, so am leaning more and more to the no power to the pump theory

Clearly you haven't worked on a td5 before as the Injectors are inside the head & fed with an internal fuel rail,

as above turn ignition on to position 2 & pump the throttle pedal 5 times to start the self purge sequence, do this 2 or 3 Times, also ensure the battery is fully charged before cranking over as td5s are fussy on battery voltage for starting

You need to bleed the system as mentioned - the correct process is:-

1. Ignition on.

2. Press and release the throttle repeatedly until you get an orange warning light flash up (more like 10-15 times).

3. Leave for purge to complete (circa 5 mins - light goes off) - you will hear the pump going through various priming cycles.

4. Ignition off.

5. Ignition on.

6. Crank with throttle floored - release throttle as soon as engine fires.

Regards

Mark.

Ok so iv been out and tried the purge procedure over and over but nothing happens. Im presuming that theres no power to the pump and not being too clever with electrics iv only checked the fuses and all are ok so iv thrown in the towel and towed it up to the garage for them to sort out.

Ok so the garage have had the disco all week and been phoning with updates now and again. First they managed to get the fuel to pump manualy so this confirmed to them that it was electrical so then the hunt began eventually turning out to be a broken wire along the chassis.