Driving With Lockers...

Michele

Ok,

as I'm a just a kid compared to some "old hands" here

who had already fitted lockers when dinosaurs walked the earth

:)

I'd like to hear some hints (read:practical samples).

I've only tried my ARBs 3 or 4 times since installation (few weeks ago),

and read the nice article Bill Burke wrote about years ago (just dreaming at time),

so,obvious things apart-don't steer with front locker engaged/don't disengage

when speed difference between wheels is likely to be...) how do you drive with lockers?

1st question which comes into mind could be:

"what to do when going up a slippery steep ascent with both lockers engaged

and suddenly you realize there's a deep bend behind?"

You don't steer to save your CVs

You don't disengage to save your lockers

You don't go straight on as there's a big old oak in the middle

So what?

:o

I work things slightly differently..........I use the rear locker alot. I rarely use the front locker for this precise reason - the risk of breaking front half shafts.

So given your scenario if it was really slippy and I didnt think i needed to steer stick both lockers in. At the first opportunity take the front locker out to allow me to steer. If i found i was still going straight on take the rear locker out too. I find that even with just the rear locker in it still has a tendancy to go straight on.

Disengaging shouldnt casue a problem with the lockers, its engaging them when one wheel is doing full speed and the other is stationary that doesnt do em any good.

In short if you drive along i look ahead and decide how many lockers to engage before entering that hazard and do so without sheels spinning. If I find that i'm half way through and have got it wrong, and its spinning up too much then i lift off the gas and stick the other locker in.

In general its about feeling and knowing what the vehicles doing at the time.

HTH

Jon

After the immediate

"Oh F**K"

Give yourself a bo**ocking for having the front locker in anyway....

Make a mental note not to have left your co-driver (Yes the bloke who runs your cable) At the bottom of the hill....

And gently sob to yourself..... :rolleyes:

Failing this, stop driving like a girl..... :lol:

And get the Hell up there before someone else does! :P:P

Using lockers is a bit like sex...

You can get loads of advice and read all the books...

But there just ain't no subsitute for pratice! :lol::lol:

Am still S**T with both (How much pratice has never Been made clear ;) )

All the best

Jim :)

Very good advice there Jim also:

try driving it without lockers

failing that put th rear one in

failing that put both in

failing that put it in low 2nd foot to the floor dump the clutch

failing that break out your spare CV's and have a sit down whilst you replace the broken bits.

Thsi is my method BTW

and yes I have achieved all of the above.

PS

making sure the vehicle is in difflock(not the forum) saves trying to climb steep slopes using just the front wheels

I also did this in Putham lane pre the levelling of it, the smoke from the Simex was impressive mind. :(

M, as Jim said; It takes practice. After a while you get the feeling of when you should put them in. Sometimes you get it right, sometimes you don't. I also find I use the rear more than the front (ie both) becase it make more of a differance to performance and its a much safer option. I suppose I pop the front locker in about 10-20% of the occasions I use the rear one. I'll use if more once I've sorted out uprated CVs :D

Nice pic that Mark

:blink:

I always make myself a mental note to engage central difflock first...as I forget every now and then

and when I hear the "STONKs" & "CLUNKs" is a bit too late...er...

I used the rear only (yet I have air escaping at front but it works anyway...odd...)

driving back down a slippery lane on Sunday night,I couldn't wait to try again and engaged

the rear to minimize the "lurch" affect,and it worked!but soon-it was dark-I found myself in a tight bend (er),with both rear wheels trying to push me down the hill...so back off throttle and going 1"/hour I managed to slowly slowly turn with rear engaged...

Jim,the winch monkey has a little daughter and he's missing all the training

<_<

As for my driving style,is tuned to preserve the only 90 I own

:lol:

but rear HD shafts are about to be ordered this week and they'll hopefully allow me a slightly sporty driving

:rolleyes:

With my HUGE amount of (in)experience :P:P I would actually disagree with Tony on the "try it without" approach.

I tend to err on the side of caution and put the rear locker in if I have the slightest concern (most of the time :lol: ) about not making it through / up / over the obstacle. As I see it its a case of "I've got it so might as well use it" rather than risk getting stuck (even) more frequently than I already do!!! :o:blink:

Don't have a front locker so can't comment other than to say that most of the people I know are paranoid about trashing their CV's so rarely use the front locker anyway... :ph34r:

Fourth: steering is hard to do especially on hard surfaces like slick-rock, granite faces and boulder outcrops. When you are on a "bind" (no not binge!), the lockers will hinder your turn. You need to disengage the front end (ARB) and "bump" the throttle to allow slack in the gears to disengage the lockers. With mechanical, you need to play the throttle softly to allow the turn. Sometimes when I come out of an obstacle, the rear end will "steer" me straight even if the front is unlocked. So, if I can I will disengage (ARB) the rear as well. The Detroits will clank and bang, the Lock-Right will click and clack, but it's the best you can do. When I did have mechanical lockers, I would run the front end unlocked, the hubs free, in 4WD low using only the rear end and the mechanical locker in the rear. Then when I needed to "get to it," I would lock the hubs in! In mud and soft dirt/sand, the rear locker will steer you straight, even though you are turning the front tires! Again, throttle steer using some of the finesse at the foot. Let the tires slow down, then blip the throttle to "pull" the front end around.

driving with lockers by BB

Bish - the benefit with trying them without first is you get to know when to put them in, it's just no good when you get stuck trying it without them in first ;);)

Tony Who would ever forget to put their diff lock in????? I never would :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Cheers

Steve

My advice: Fit detroit lockers! most people say they are no good, but I think they are the best thing I have done to my car for exactly the reasons you have described. Off road, you have full control over the vehicle while both lockers work and the CVs are spared-none broken yet, touch wood.

Ok,

and read the nice article Bill Burke wrote about years ago (just dreaming at time),

when speed difference between wheels is likely to be...) how do you drive with lockers?

So what?

Simple get GKN overload protectors then you can put it on full lock with the front locker in and give it some with no worries :lol:

I run the same way as tony I'm not copying him it just seems to be a good route to take and after changing alot of C Vs am carfull when i use the front one not scared.

But that depends if I am playing or competing

I could say that I have never had to use my lockers but I dont drive a suzuki :D

Nick

Simple get GKN overload protectors then you can put it on full lock with the front locker in and give it some with no worries :lol:

Too much ££££

(SOB)

:(

Should I keep my actual job I'll start saving for a couple of these in a future!

30spline.jpg

B)

Dream on...

:rolleyes:

...too much $$$ anyway!

:blink:

Ok,

So what?

B***cks engage when steering not steering ,wheels on off the ground thats what there for ive never brocken a shaft with ARBs ;)

Simple if you have the front locker in the simply flick the switch and lift off the power and reaply the same and the locker will disengadge.

Then nail to pull the frount round for better turning you can just hit the rear locker off and if wired correctly them both lockers will dissengadge and lift off for a split second to ensure the lockers will unlock.

Simple if you have the front locker in the simply flick the switch and lift off the power and reaply the same and the locker will disengadge.

Then nail to pull the frount round for better turning you can just hit the rear locker off and if wired correctly them both lockers will dissengadge and lift off for a split second to ensure the lockers will unlock.

Sounds like a lot of fluff to me just get some decent axles & lockers & just drive it like you stole it ! :blink: