Defender 90 suspension upgrade

jameshub

You can look at fitting RR/Disco springs, and fitting the RR rubber isolator rings. This will make the ride more supple and less harsh than standard 90/110.

Downside is you'll have more roll with increased pitch and dive. Combining this with heavy duty shocks and Anti roll bars will give you softer ride and better handling. ARB's will affect your articulation off road though.

Cheers

Steve

And look to fitting decent shock-absorbers: my preference being for Bilstein gas-pressurised ones, which not only last well but really do help to handle the buttock-clenching 'twitch' you get in the steering when one of the wheels hits a pothole on the inside of a bend at significant speed.

It will most likely be fitted with heavy duty springs. A change to standard springs will sort your ride out.

Are heavy duty springs normal on MOD 90’s? How would I know if mine are HD, is it thickness or number of coils? Grateful for any info..

Yep, the military springs are normally HD , they will be a bit thicker than front springs. Can't recall the colour code, but if you look round the spring you may see two coloured stripes if it hasn't been rusted or painted over. These are a code for spring rating and a quick google or search on this forum will tell you what you have fitted.

The springs you want are nrc9448 & nrc9449 - I've used a few britpart ones and to be fair they've been fine, and around £20 each. Have a look on the bay and you'll probably find some genuine ones for the same price, which would obvs be better.

If you want to lift the suspension a nadge, fit a couple of canr2938 isolator rings, gives 10m.

Thanks Eightpot, I’m happy with the ride for my use, so not thinking about going soft !! The paint markings have ‘worn’ off so just wondered if I could tell by measuring. If/when they need replacing I’d go like for like and this thread just prompted my interest.
Front springs are 15mm and rear are 17mm ‘dia. bar’, so I guess the rear are HD.