Removing a stuck Woodruff key?

After suffering poor starting and finding the injector pump was running retarded, I tweaked the timing but it seemed odd that it had slipped. Sure enough, the movement was due to wear on the inside of the crank timing pulley - witness marks and lots of rusty powder suggest the crank bolt wasn't quite tight. Luckily the pulley is much softer than the key so the crank is hopefully undamaged; I'll replace the key of course - if I can get the blighter out!

post-277-0-04607000-1362263876_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-71928900-1362263901_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-66766600-1362263913_thumb.jpg

Obviously I've hit it on each end, tried to pry it up, doused it in penetrating oil and even used some choice words, but it's still stubbornly attached. Any ideas?

if it's not worn, and stuck in tight why not just leave it there? just an idea, if it ain't broke? Otherwise a dremel disc along the key to split it down the middle and give some free space (it should be a half moon anyway) then chisel out. it's probably rusted in well.

Use a cold chisel, sharpen only one face rather than both, apply WD40 or a penetrating oil to the key, keep the flat face of the chisel flat against the crank and press the blade up against the woodruff key and several sharp hits will do the trick. Getting enough room to "swing" your hammer will be the trick but I've removed enough woodruff keys in the way to know it will work.

Stage two, if it is still solid, pin punch the dead centre of the key, drill into the key with a drill size approx 1/2 the width of the key, - take care NOT to drill into the crankshaft, use a stop on the drill if you need to, again apply WD40, with a "blind" tap, tap into the hole and screw into your tapped hole a HT bolt and this will "lift" the key out.

Thanks guys - six(!) hours of battering it including my neighbour aiming a punch while I hit it with some conviction eventually budged it. Running much better now the pump and cam aren't 11 degrees retarded. I'm looking forward to seeing the mpg come up from 20mpg!