Before I do something I may regret!!!!

Nigelw

I was unable to get normal mineral EP 85/90 for the front axle as I am about to begin the rebuild but I did manage to get some Kroon 75/90 which is a synthetic gear oil, now, I was always told the same spec or higher but never lower.

But is there a problem using a synthetic oil or should I not worry too much about it?

Rover type diff?.Unlike Hypoids, Spiral bevel diffs have almost no sliding friction, so they are very tolerant re the type of oil that can be used. I once drove from Cape York Penisular down to Melbourne for a total distance of 3000 miles with just 20W50 engine oil in my diffs with no ill effects.

Yep Rover diff Bill, for the Discovery of 1992 vintage, I was sitting there thinking about it getting paranoid as I am a little bit of a worry wart when it comes to things like this as it was mineral before and I am not 100% on the suitability of synthetics in older components that used traditional oils.

I have experience of severely accelerating the wear of an old 2.25 diesel by using a high detergent long life diesel engine oil, as it basically stripped all the carbon from the engines surfaces and ended up grinding out what was left of the wearing surfaces with the carbon getting stuck in the oil ways, since then, I always ask folk who know more!!!

Some mistakes are not worth making!!

Viscosity ratings for gear/ diff oils are not on the same scale as engine oils.

Infact a 75/90W gear oil probably has the same viscosity as 20/50W engine

oil. The gear oils simply have a different numbering system to differentiate

them easier from engine oils. ^_^

There is a tale, nobody knows certainly if true or false, that says that someone managed to drive a series landy with no oil in the engine and banana´s juice in the sump!

My dad used eggs and also flour for repairing farm tractor radiators back in the 60´s

In our Santana SIIIA we used chewing gum in a broken clutch pipe: did not work.

It is also said that milk works OK in clutch circuit.