Full Hydro Steering and Mechanical Links

Re Mouse's hydrosteering set up - I am fairly convinced it came from Shaun Stapley at Performance Offroad Systems (POS). The ram on the mouse build thread is identical to a POS ram. Shaun also confirmed that it was one of his systems when I rang him. I have one of his rams and load sensitive orbitals. Regarding experience driving Mouse the omens are good then my my set up!

Adrian

Driving some of the larger 230hp+ tractors at work that have electric over hydro steering I have noticed a certain amount of damping wich is handy on the road when the front end is too light ad it stops you weaving up the road as much, however until you get used to it most of the mechanics have had near misses as you cannot get lock off quickly enough coming out of junctions. Its almost asif the wheel is an interference fit on the colum and turning it too vigorously makes it slip.

Using a speed sensor you could make the steering unfinatly proportional and or have different modes

Will.

From a racing point of view, some classes may require you to have some sort of mechanical linkage.....great "racer" thinking on the bluetourch fab truck with the usless cable link, but kinda a joke.

I just took some scrub measurements on my defender. Stock front housing ends etc. LR 130/wolf rims (6.5 inch) 235/85/R16. Now this is pretty rough and ready type measuring.Flat level concrete ground, wheels straight ahead position. I got 290mm from ground level to a point on the bottom swivel pin. This point is approx 10mm outboard of the inside rim lip. 290 xTan7 degrees gives me 35.6mm. So if im doing this correctly it would put the KPI at about 25mm inside the rim from its inner lip. Of coarse this does not take into account castor angle as this would change the geomerty/trigonmetry somewhat as its not just straight in and out. If Im visualizing it correctly that 3 degree castor would actually make the 7 degrees more upright that at 0 degrees.......

Im guessing all this front end stuff was figured for the RRC 2 door running 205/16 (29s) and what ever rim width and offset those Rostyles are?? Im sure CSK had a pretty good idea of what he was doing. Im thinking full time 4wd, the front end driving, plays some sort of role and the fact its an on road, off road vehicle.

Either way running offset and wheel spacers is going to change things alot, even before you change the linkage/steering type.

Re Mouse's hydrosteering set up - I am fairly convinced it came from Shaun Stapley at Performance Offroad Systems (POS). The ram on the mouse build thread is identical to a POS ram. Shaun also confirmed that it was one of his systems when I rang him. I have one of his rams and load sensitive orbitals. Regarding experience driving Mouse the omens are good then my my set up!

Adrian

You may be right, I remembered seeing a PSC sticker on the ram, but can't find any evidence of that in pictures. My bad.

There was an interesting discussion on Pirate last week or so about using a master/slave closed hydro system, with a regular steering box controlling the master. This would effectively give a flexible mechanical linkage, with all the feedback from a regular steering box.

Not sure how viable it is though, biggest hurdle is probably getting the system bled.

you can get load and speed sensitive power steering pumps, i.e. only pump what they need to operate system, therefore reducing heat generation, vary output based on vehcivle speed, therefore reducung the twichyness at higher speeds. I have a catalogue from ZF about it if anyones interested?

Adrian

Id love to see how people are running hydraulic pumps JUST FOR STEERING off a rover V8

I realise there are many ways of connecting a hydraulic pump, belt/chain/prop etc but what i would like to know is how much power you would need for dry steering large (35-40inch) tyres and whether a Veebelt on a rover v8 could transfer enough energy without slipping (even when wet)

And another way of doing a mechanical link (pictures stolen off pirate 4x4). Car is buildt by Jessie Haines. I think it is neat solution. The fact he has finshed KOH in it means it must have a certain level of robustness!

post-659-0-30627300-1362848022_thumb.jpg

The steering link is running parrelt to the link back to the driver compartment.

post-659-0-15528000-1362848021_thumb.jpg

This shows the bell crank on the acle

post-659-0-63472600-1362848023_thumb.jpg

And the link to the steering box up behind the steering wheel.

The build thread on pirate is; http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discussion/1110825-jhf-mod-class-koh-racer-prepping-2013-a.html

Adrian

Not a subject I know much or in fact anything about, but as a possible alternative to full hydro or even hydro assist, how would scaled up versions of electric steering servos as used on radio controlled cars go? Add too much unsprung weight to the axle? Lack of feedback to the steering wheel?