Do differential bearings differ?

istruggle2gate11

Hi all,

In a quandry here, just fitting a ARB diff, all going well until it comes to the bearings.

The rover type diff has Timken bearings (LMS01349 inner, LMS501310 outer) but these wont fit the ARB.

It seems the ARB (model RD56, 24 spline land rover) requires the inner bore of the bearing to be Ø45mm, where the original rover diff is Ø41.2 (ish).

So is there a later type of diff bearing with a larger bore but the same od? I need Ø73.3 x Ø45 x 20mm wide.

Help much apreciated.

24 spline ARB will require the later metric bearings (dont know which number that is though). i'm assuming u're fitting the locker into an imperial diff housing? if so u'll need bearing adaptors to make the bearings fit the casing.

Hi Tonk,

It turns out that 24 spline diffs do have the later metric type, where 10 spline can be early metric type or imperial.

So if you have a metric diff housing, with 24 spline then you need RTC3095 bearings which in the normal world is a LM102949 where a 10 spline metric is LM501349.

Hi all,

In a quandry here, just fitting a ARB diff, all going well until it comes to the bearings.

The rover type diff has Timken bearings (LMS01349 inner, LMS501310 outer) but these wont fit the ARB.

It seems the ARB (model RD56, 24 spline land rover) requires the inner bore of the bearing to be Ø45mm, where the original rover diff is Ø41.2 (ish).

So is there a later type of diff bearing with a larger bore but the same od? I need Ø73.3 x Ø45 x 20mm wide.

Help much apreciated.

I have here in front of me as supplied by Devon 4x4 an RD56 24spline ARB diff, with the correct Timken bearings. The Timken code is LM102949 9X049 for both bearings.

On the Timken box there is an additional label "GI 87041 QTY 1 BEARING CORRESPONDING TO RTC3095

This kit is for my front axle on a 1998 110 300tdi.

Hope this is useful.

John

I have here in front of me as supplied by Devon 4x4 an RD56 24spline ARB diff, with the correct Timken bearings. The Timken code is LM102949 9X049 for both bearings.

On the Timken box there is an additional label "GI 87041 QTY 1 BEARING CORRESPONDING TO RTC3095

This kit is for my front axle on a 1998 110 300tdi.

Hope this is useful.

John

Cheers John, Thats confirmed it now. Thanks.