110 Middle Row Seats - From Renault Scenic

Ever since reading this thread: http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=44374 I have been meaning to upgrade the seats in the back of the 110 for some time and here's what I've ended up with.

post-11676-0-29728500-1363361112_thumb.jpg

post-11676-0-72885900-1363361125_thumb.jpg

post-11676-0-07014800-1363361139_thumb.jpg

post-11676-0-34301900-1363361146_thumb.jpg

These full leather seats came from a 1999 Renault Scenic, they are individually adjustable forward, backwards and recline and cost me £45 on eBay. Installation was pretty straight forward. I simply removed the quick release mechanism from the Renault seats and drilled some new holes in the land rover frames to line up with the holes in the new seats, then bolted them in.

The new seats have seat belt receivers on them but I am simply using the original land rover seat belts and receivers. They are also "thicker" than the original seats which means you sit higher in them. This has the advantage of providing extra leg room but obviously reduced headroom. I have not yet had any complaints yet though and there is still more headroom than we have in the back of our Peugeot 106.

I have removed the bench seats in the very back of the 110 which allows the middle row seats to be slid back a long way into the load space making it very comfortable with loads of legroom. The bench seats will go back in if necessary but you just have to slide the middle row further forward. I usually have a dog/load guard installed which I have had to lean backwards into the load space to allow the seats to slide and recline to their full extent.

The only issue I have encountered is that the passengers in the outer seats have to position the seat either in front or behind the seat belt reel otherwise it kind of fouls your shoulder a bit. Not a major problem though.

Anyway I am very pleased with this relatively straight forward modification, these seats are super comfy, much better than the front seats!

• Like 1

Yes its was easier than I expected. I forgot to mention that when I removed the old seats I had to cut off the brackets with the angle grinder as they were welded to the frames. I also had to cut away a section of the plastic under the new seats where it fouled the frame but this was all pretty easy. The only fiddly bit was setting up the catch that stops the frames tipping forward. I ended up removing it and welding a new striker on in a slightly different position.

Liam,

Thanks for that! I was looking for back seats with better support than standard. I'd even looked at Exmoor Trim high backs but was baulking at the price...

Got a set of cloth seats from a '57 Scenic and am half way through fitting. I've cut off all of the uprights from the LR frames but left the side section of the outer ones to allow the std catchers to work. I'm welding the seat runners to the LR frames.

Good find, worth doing.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 years later...

Hi Zandy,

I'm afraid not and I recently sold this land rover so I can't check. This was some time ago now but from memory, once the frames were cut flush it was just a case of bolting the new seats up to the existing land rover frames. I think I had to drill some new holes in the frames to get everything to line up.

Make sure you don't use the seat belt receivers that are built into the new seats as the land rover seat frame anchorages are not designed to take seat belt loading, it is important to use the existing land rover seat belts with the existing land rover receivers that are bolted down to proper seat belt anchor points in the floor.