flooded footwell

gavfurn

passenger side footwell soaked every time we have rain, i cannot find the leak anywhere, checked sunroofs an they dont seam be the problem (for once) doors windscreen etc, but no luck, any ideas or suggestions would be greatfull,

check the seal between the heater inlet and the scuttle panel, probably needs resealing.

drop the glovebox down, unclip the hinges so it drops right down, and you should be able to remove it and reseal then. you'll also need to remove the scuttle panel at the bottom of the windscreen too.

If it's that wet look for the tell tale rust streaks, the most likely culprits have been mentioned above by the guys....

There's also a weld / lack of weld on a join at the bottom corner(s) of the windscreen, often filled with dum dum puty at the factory - it dries out and cracks allowing water in. Only visable with the dash out so leave that until all the others have been eliminated.

I've also found the seam sealer cracked in behind the outer wing, letting water in and leading to the corrosion in the seam as mentioned by Particle. The water runs off the windscreen and into the scuttle panle, out through the drain hole and straight into the seam.

Other one id the seal around the wirning loom letting water in from the engine bay / or the join imediatley below this rusted out.

Have fun. Get the soggy stuff out first and all should be obvious.

Steve

Had quick look today, taken carpet an sound proofing out, all looks ok for rust at the moment, its bin repaired before couple plates tacked, chucked flask over windscreen waited few mins an drips started to appear from under glove box, still got isolate the leak an fix, but wait till I got sealant etc, but carpet etc up and replaced with an old bed sheet catch anymore rain we have,

Thanks guys

• 7 months later...

If I may piggyback onto this thread, my Discovery 2 has a very soggy drivers footwell. I have taped up both sunroofs with duck tape long before our latest bout of rain and I had dried it out pretty well. So think the water must be getting in from elsewhere. I've pulled the carpet away from the bulkhead as much as I can and the bulkhead appears dry. I've removed the plastic covers from the rh side of the footwell and that also appears dry. Someone suggested the roofbars might be leaking but if that were the case I would have expected to see water in the areas that I have investigated.

If it were the windscreen leaking then I'd expect to see water on the bulkhead (admittedly I've not been able to pull the carpet back as far as the centre console and so I guess it could be behind there).

Is there an easy way to remove the two plastic plugs that hold the plastic trim on...the one with the diagnostic socket on? I've tried getting my fingernails underneath two edges and pulling hard without success.

In the meantime I will carry on searching the forum for clues.

TIA

Mine is also leaking into the passenger footwell. Took the glove box out and it must be fairly recent as there's no sign of rust there.

It certainly seems to be coming from round the heater inlet, so decided to take the scuttle off so I can get at it to seal it.

Got the side trim off, the wipers off and the "scrivets" and the whole thing is now free. But how the hell do you get it out! I just don't seem to be able to manoeuvre it out no matter which way I try.

Given up for the night and will try again in the morning with some fresh swear words.

Malcolm

Check that your front sunroof drain holes are clear. One each side well hidden underneath the A pillar.

Griff

Thanks for the suggestion, Griff. I am pretty sure that they are clear. If they were blocked then presumably water would run down the inside of the car A pillars. Thing is (a) the sunroofs are sealed up with duck tape (b) the inside of the ar by the A pillars is bone dry...as is the bulkhead. I also pulled off the small piece of trim at the top of the A pillar where the tweeter is mounted) and had a look inside there (assuming that this is how the water would run down if the sunroof was the problem) and that is also bone dry.

As a supplement I pulled out the passenger carpet as much as was able and that too has a saturated sponge layer and again no visible signs of water either down the front bulkhead or the left A pillar.

I have pulled the carpet in the rear away from the back seats to see if any water is coming in there....basically trying to expose as much of the floor pan as possible to try and determine at least from what direction the water is coming from. I am beginning to wonder if perhaps I'd not dehumidified as much as I had thought and that the water that is there IS a legacy from sunroof leakage in the past. Dehumidifier now running full blast. We shall see.

What is baffling me is that the water has to come in from somewhere but I cannot see any evidence of this. B pillars? How does the trim come off the B pillars?

Still a great car!

Check that your front sunroof drain holes are clear. One each side well hidden underneath the A pillar.

Griff

Thanks for the suggestion, Griff. I am pretty sure that they are clear. If they were blocked then presumably water would run down the inside of the car A pillars. Thing is (a) the sunroofs are sealed up with duck tape (b) the inside of the ar by the A pillars is bone dry...as is the bulkhead. I also pulled off the small piece of trim at the top of the A pillar where the tweeter is mounted) and had a look inside there (assuming that this is how the water would run down if the sunroof was the problem) and that is also bone dry.

As a supplement I pulled out the passenger carpet as much as was able and that too has a saturated sponge layer and again no visible signs of water either down the front bulkhead or the left A pillar.

I have pulled the carpet in the rear away from the back seats to see if any water is coming in there....basically trying to expose as much of the floor pan as possible to try and determine at least from what direction the water is coming from. I am beginning to wonder if perhaps I'd not dehumidified as much as I had thought and that the water that is there IS a legacy from sunroof leakage in the past. Dehumidifier now running full blast. We shall see.

What is baffling me is that the water has to come in from somewhere but I cannot see any evidence of this. B pillars? How does the trim come off the B pillars?

Still a great car!

Griff

Griff ...one more question please. What is the routing of the drain tubes on either side of the front sunroof. Would they be visible if I removed the small A pillar trim (the one with the tweeter in) ? TIA

You can get this when the body mounts onto the chassis crack the bodywork, you may find hairline cracks in the floor and the water is then road spray. It's m,ore or less directly in front of the clutch pedal on the drivers side (about six inches off the floor) and the equivalent spot mirrored in the pax footwell. I blathered a pile of silicone onto mine and stuck a sheet of plastic onto the top of the silicone while it was still wet, not pretty but never leaked again! Look for hairline rust marks.

You can get this when the body mounts onto the chassis crack the bodywork, you may find hairline cracks in the floor and the water is then road spray. It's m,ore or less directly in front of the clutch pedal on the drivers side (about six inches off the floor) and the equivalent spot mirrored in the pax footwell. I blathered a pile of silicone onto mine and stuck a sheet of plastic onto the top of the silicone while it was still wet, not pretty but never leaked again! Look for hairline rust marks.

All clear on my vehicle but will double check. Thing is that the water is very very clean which suggests not road spray.

The hole is under the drivers door and behind the mudflap under the A frame. Same on opposite side. The tubes come off the front sides of the sunroof housing and I assume into the A pillars. Don't know if you can see them with the trim off as I've not done this (I know you can see the rear drain tubes with the rear light units removed) However, if you say the roof is sealed, then BogMonster's suggestion makes sense.

Griff

I've just spent a morning with a hosepipe trying to find where it's coming in mine.

Seemed to be dripping from the blower motor so I took that out and found it fairly wet. The duct from the bulkhead was also wet so I reckon it must be coming in from the inlet under the bonnet. I've sealed the edges but there doesn't seem to be anything stopping water getting into the inlet apart from the fact it's under the plastic scuttle.

Is there supposed to be some sort of guard/filter on the front? It's just an open duct straight to the motor - at least my old Defender had a low point with a drain on it.

Malcolm

Ive had it leak from the gutter on the bulkhead where the bonnet is.

Chuck a buket of water over the bonnet. Lift up bonnet and watch where the water goes.

Mine goes into gutter but then pores onto each footwell in the engine bay. Im trying to attch a seal to the bottom of the bonnet and the gutter. Should cure mine

• 6 years later...
On 10/28/2013 at 3:21 PM, Supermansam said:

Ive had it leak from the gutter on the bulkhead where the bonnet is.

Chuck a buket of water over the bonnet. Lift up bonnet and watch where the water goes.

Mine goes into gutter but then pores onto each footwell in the engine bay. Im trying to attch a seal to the bottom of the bonnet and the gutter. Should cure mine

Did this work for you supermansam? What seal did you use?

Greetings from Cape Town. Same problem with water in the front and rear passenger footwells. I tore everything out and looked everywhere that others had mentioned to no avail (although I'm taking all precautionary measures before I reassemble !). I should add that this is a 2006 Disco 3 rhd. 2.7 tdv6.

The sunroof drains were fixed in January so I started under the bonnet and worked my way up using a watering can. No leak until I got to the roof rack channel (not sunroof) when water appeared in the wiring channel at the foot of the passenger door running through to the back.

I went all around the dash area without luck until I saw a trickle of water running out from under the door seal at the bottom of the door. I'd always replaced this seal when I closed up at night. I pulled it away from the frame et voila! Water was trickling out of the spot welded seam on the A pillar that the seal sits on. There were rust stains on the edge down to the bottom of the door. The main entry point is about 1 " up from the bottom of the A pillar airbag. This is actually an 'intentional hole' and I therefore have to assume that water finds it's way along the roof rack channel and down inside the external plastic trim.

I read somewhere that there is a hole under the trim that can allow water in which then trickles down the inside of the pillar and which can be sealed (no info as to it's location).

New clips and sealant are on order !!

• 1 year later...

Drivers side wet foot well. 

I have a 21MY Landrover Discovery sport, I have had the same problem as many of you have described, it went back to the main dealer, where I was first told it was the windscreen not sealed, then it was the panoramic roof, then to be told it was a failure of spot welds on the bulk head - which seems more plausible than the previous items mention. This is engine out, drive train drop then an attempt to re-spot weld. Considering this is all part of the robotic spot welding process when it is Body In White (BIW) I can’t believe that this has been allowed to progress into the main assembly track. 

if you have this failure on your vehicle do not rule out spot weld failures on the bulk head. 

looks like they have an inherent design/manufacturing process failure when it comes to this. 

I would be interested to hear from anyone else that have found the root cause to be bulk head spot weld failures. 

thanks, 
Den