Footwell water ingress

So I checked over the 110 tonight and found that under the rubber matting in the front footwells are soaken again. I havent had this is a while but its back. She sits on a slight incline with the front facing up the hill. Im wondering if the water is coming in from the gutter under the windscreen or maybe the bulkhead vents, but id be interested to see if anyone else has had this problem and resolved it...

ps....before you tell me they all leak i already know......

On my Defender I found that the biggest water-leak was at the ends of the gutter under the screen; the water ran off the ends of this, over the fake "screen hinge" thing and was then getting in through the junction of the screen, the bulkhead and the door-seal.

The bulkhead is supposedly 'sealed' to the windscreen all the way across with a double-sided-sticky piece of closed cell rubber foam; unfortunately we all know about LR panel-gaps and on mine though the foam was crushed flat on one side, on the other side there was room to get a hacksaw-blade between the foam and the metal. I injected the gap with Tiger-seal and used the back of the hacksaw-blade to 'work' the stuff well into the gap. Also, pull off the door-seal from the edge of the screen/bulkhead and squirt some Tiger-seal into the channel-part of the door-seal before refitting. It's not perfect but I now only end up with a slightly-damp throttle-foot on long journeys in the rain.

ive checked the doors and have a aluminium upstand sealed into the floor to protect the ingress from the bottoms of the doors but thanks for the help it is all appreciated. I have concerns about the guttering under the windscreen and the seal along there. thankfull ive invested in a breathable cover which is on her tonight with the bulkhead vents open to see if she will dry out a bit, or if nothing else get rid of the damp smell....i just wonder if all of the snow in Durham recently hasnt helped and let water get above a seal level...happy days

When I go through decent-sized puddles the water comes up through the floor of the passenger footwell like a fountain. Funny as hell when I've got a passenger in the car. I intend to use some silicone sealant when I get around to it. And it has all dried out. And when it's not so cold that the sealant won't stick to anything.

Vulch

well im going to start with changing the seals on the bulkhead vents as they dont seal very well in a couple of places, and also replace the screen bracket seals then seal the foam joint under the windscreen with a bead of silicone and go from there. If all else fails im going to buy a duck!

• 1 year later...

Hi Newbie here....

Had my defender a couple of weeks and 2 mornings after heavy rain both footwells are very wet....although no rust etc

The dash seems dry and the vent rubber seems ok.....Both doors are a bit rotten on the bottom...could water be somehow dripping downs door seals and getting into the

gaps seems a lot of water for that to happen..

Looked at the leak manual... :hysterical: ..fantastic.......................is the best thing to do sit in it while the wife sprays the windscreen with the hose for 5 minutes :hysterical: