Evening everyone

Please help as I have major problems with getting a decent brake pedal

To put you in the picture

Firstly I know how to bleed brake

The Landy is a 1987 90

Solid disks and pads on the front

Drums and shoes on the rear

All discs and pads and drums and shoes were replaced about a year ago

The master cylinder was replace at the same time with a trw make ( think that's correct maybe twr ?)

Rear shoes are adjusted correctly aswell

Problem is when I hit the brakes the pedal goes to the floor this hardy slows her down at all

Each pump afterwards builds up to a better pedal but as soon as I take my foot of and reapply the pedal goes to the floor again

Regarding the bleeding I have tried the 2 man method AND the easy bleed kit both don't give me brakes !!!!

I have used 5 full litres of brand new fluid there are NO air bubbles at all and the fluid is clean !!!!!

I am sure there is nothing else regarding the bleeding that can be done !!!!!!!

So I am left with a pedal that hits the floor on the first push followed by a pedal that gets harder when pumped !!!!!

Then foot off back on then it goes to the floor again !!!!

What do I do guys any help or advice please ??

Regards

Chris

certainly sounds like air, ofcourse if you havent touched anything, then air wouldnt magically just find its way in unless something has broken...

If you pump it up and hold the pedal hard, does it stay still or creep to the floor?

PS: catch the "waste" expelled fluid, and stick it thru a coffee filter and put it back in the other end. Theres no point chucking it away as at this point the stuff coming out is as fresh as the stuff going in the other end!

PS: catch the "waste" expelled fluid, and stick it thru a coffee filter and put it back in the other end. Theres no point chucking it away as at this point the stuff coming out is as fresh as the stuff going in the other end!

i agree, but obviously don't use old stuff as its hygroscopic. could it be a seal failure in side the master cylinder??

Started with

Rear passenger

Rear drivers

Front passenger

Last of all front drivers

ok, thats good, it's an easy mistake to make.

I will try that many thanks western great idea

One question

Am I right in thinking tho if either of the front capilers or the rear slaves were duff eg faulty seals surly they would be leaking fluid from some where surly that would be visible and I would have to keep topping up the master cylinder , is that correct guys ??

Which would then point to master wouldn't it ?

Yes, if the caliper or slave cylinder seals were leaking there would be evidence of fresh brake fluid, if the master cylinder was leaking across the piston seals you wouldn't see any fluid leak as it will be internal, if the rearmost master cylinder was leaking there should be leakage evidence visible at the servo/master cyl joint. it would be worth undoing the master cyl to servo nuts so the master cyl can be moved away from servo to see if there is any fluid leak at that joint.

As suggested by disco ron clamp off each flexy hose in turn, doesn't really matter which order, to rear axle then each of the fronts. If the problem goes away when one is clamped then you know where the problem is. If you clamp off all three at once the pedal should be solid (possible a little leakage past one of the clamps but pretty solid) if it still goes down then it is definately the master cylinder.

Sounds like a leak letting in a bit of air somewhere, with the system pumped up and pressure on the pedal if the pedal slowly goes down then there must be fluid going out somewhere, this should be visable eventually, I assume you have had to top up at some point?.

From the symptoms you've said I'd say it was your master bipassing. Bit of a pig if its been replaced relativly recently. If you can afford it I'd go for a total new unit, I think I picked up a New Lucas one for £60 of fleebay a few months ago. you'll be annoyed if its a scored barrell, no re-build kit can sort that.

Mav