Reducing Diesel Smokiness

Outrage

Hi All,

Ive got a LTWT fitted with a NA 2.5D 12J engine which has been sat near dormant for several years apart from been run for a few hours once a month or so.

Can anyone give me some advice regarding lowering the amount of smoke (blue) it emits? Ideally a rundown in order of difficulty/expense of things I can try that may make a difference. Does Diesel degrade over time? as i've had the same half a tank in it for about 2 years? Would a really long drive out on the roads do it any favours - at the mo its declared off the road but i want to lower the emmissions before I take it to be MOT'd/Taxed

Cheers,

Lee

Blue smoke is burning oil, it all depends what state the engine was in when parked up , it could be simply hardened valve stem seals leaking or worn piston rings , but I think the cheapest option would be an oil and filter change a good long steady run and see what happens before spending vast amounts.........

Mark's S2a was producing blue smoke before it's MOT. We cured it by advancing the timing a little - I guess that must have fixed the rings/oil seals... either that or it was never oil smoke but improperly burned diesel. :) That was on a 2.25l diesel which has adjustable timing, I guess that the 2.5D has a similar arrangement to the 200Tdi? You could certainly get the timing spot on if not a little advanced by using a slightly smaller then reccomended timing pin (drill bit) in the pump.

Chris

As stated, check the timing.

Blue smoke is NOT burning oil. That is for Petrol engines. Burning crankcase oil in a diesel will give black smoke if anything. Blue smoke is UNBURNT fuel. To get unburnt fuel it needs to get in the engine too late. This can be only from a few places.

1) Injectors firing too late

2) Exhaust valves

3) Turbo (obviously not on this engine)

Anyway, it is probably timing. The engines become retarded over time and need adjustment. Also, the fuel could be carp. Run the tank out and get some fresh stuff in there.

Mask over the problem as you like , Blue smoke is burning oil.........

Blue smoke oil

White............. water ......

Black.............. fuel.......... 20 yrs of working on HGV s must count for something....Have a look here.....

http://www.freeautoadvice.com/diesel/smoke.html

I'm sorry, but you are being mislead. Trust me. Those symtoms are for Petrol engines.

If you were on the right side of the planet, I would have you come over and I will demonstrate. Just retard the pump timing a little and I can show you enough blue smoke to make you think the engine is rooted beyond repair.

I'm sorry, but you are being mislead. Trust me. Those symtoms are for Petrol engines.

If you were on the right side of the planet, I would have you come over and I will demonstrate. Just retard the pump timing a little and I can show you enough blue smoke to make you think the engine is rooted beyond repair.

No need tobe sorry .........do a google search there are more websites than the one linked, ............

well i have to say blue smoke from a derv buner can be eather oil being burn or relate to injection timeing or the fuel its self afecting the timeing, no ifs or buts!

about 1 min into this vid as my mog goes up a bank it shows lots of blue smoke, this is related to fuel type and in part injection timeing, my mog is set up for white derv and when runing on it it hardly smokes under load, when runing on red derv its smokes blue under load, if i mix 30% of 28sec burning oil with the red derv as i do for winter service, i dont get blue smoke, yet it dose not use a drop of oil bitween services.

http://s95.photobucket.com/albums/l157/b10...view¤t=mog1.flv

if i take my land rover with its peugot 2.5 in, that smokes blue if left to tick over for 10 mins then reved up, as it has an exhorst valve guide oil seal gone, but it dosent smoke at any other time even startup 1st thing in the morning becouse the injection timeing is spot on and oil from the valve guide becouse of the design of the head can only leek when the engen is turning hence no smoke in the morning, but it dose use oil @ 1L per 1000miles.

the trick is knowing what is causing the blue smoke witch makes the difrence, As most mechanics wouldn’t know their ass from their elbow, as they are NOT mechanics they are fitters. ;)

FYI: most of the sh!t that is taken out of white derv to meet green house gas emitions etc is put into red dirv, as it is not subject to green house gas emitions limits as its not a road fuel, this is why e.g. sulfer levels in red are * 1000 times high than white LSD derv, so when you hear all theas polotitions saying thay are meating there green targets for road fuel you will know its all a smoke and mirrors!!!! as its all ending up as burnt fuel in somthing anyway!! ;)

The only way to reduce emotions truly is to abandon long-term hydrocarbons and go to bio fuels witch are short-term carbon neutral or in many cases actually growing the stuff takes out more greenhouse gases than actually processing and burning the stuff puts into the atmosphere.

b101uk