First things first, this will be a fairly slow moving project, women, holidays and life seems to absorb my money at the moment!

A little while ago i purchased a RRC of RangeyRover on these forums, and i started a small thread in the members section

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=78270&hl=

Following that, my girlfriend started talking about loads of crazy expensive ideas, so i figured Im probably not going to get another chances anytime soon to build a challenge truck.

My initial plans were to build a truck like Chris Abels range rover but with the plan to fit Discovery 2 axles with a homebrew/cheap four link system.

I tossed some ideas about and the RRC body really doesnt lend itself to being a competitive challenge truck with the sport at the current level.

So off came the RRC body.

I decided when your running a v8, you've GOT to have Megasquirt... right?

So I built a board

Now, Ive got a chassis, axles, engine, and EFI set up. What else do you need? ROLL CAGE!

155004_10151312709497085_1812897933_n.jp

I purchased a roll cage with outriggers (not in photo) from Tornado Motorsport, and what a terribly nice bloke Dave is!

Hopefully I shall find time soon to get the cage and out riggers welded up, engine plonked in and axles/suspension set up in the next few weeks.

I will be aiming for a 110inch wheelbase, to help fit 40inch rubber in. My ambition is to enter KOV and similar events in 2014. But possibly with a 4.6 or a diesel engine with some cheeky modifications. DirtyDiesel doesnt live to far away from me, so he can expect to have his brains thouroughly picked on engine choice.

Axle-wise, The D2 axles wont last too long i dont think. Looking at finding something strong and proven. maybe even Dana...

• 1 month later...

I've just lifted them off my trailer with my skidsteer with a lift capacity of 800kg... it started to lift the back wheels off the ground. They are just a little heavy.

information im gathering on these axles :

4x4 conversion using a front Dana 70 axle with Warn free wheeling hubs is used with the same 10 lugs as the rear, rather than 5.

The Penman 'Tavern' conversion uses an open knuckle Dana 70 fitted spring over on the standard HD front suspension. The front axle has Warn free wheel hubs. This gives about a 5" lift over the stock drop beam front axle. The rear axle is the stock Dana 80 and I believe they both have 5.13 gears, but I haven't properly checked yet.

I have learned that the 10-lug hub is simply a standard Dually hub, with the wheel stud flange machined down and the 10-lug hub adapter slid over top. It was attached using Allen head bolts (or normal bolts) through the back, to hold both the adapter and brake rotor.

Basically thats ALL of the information on these axles I've found thats actually useful. The front for all intents and purposes is very similar to a Dana60.

The 80, is well.. an 80. An absolute bruiser of an axle. People have warned me not to use it... but ive read it can stand 1200hp in pulling tractors. So im choosing to ignore these people.

The 80 is designed to carry around 11000LBS of weight, it has 4inch axle tubes, that are 1/2inch thick. I can afford to grind some webbing off the axle and it will still be 100 times stronger than an ashcrofted LR axle.

Im going to whip the cover off the axle and post up some internal pictures. See what the monster inside looks like!

They will probably be unbreakable.... But they will be to heavy. You will sink, slide, fail to get a up a hill. Weight is everything.

Dont be such a pessimist!

How many challenge prepared 90's come under 2300kg? not many.

Im building this on a shoe string budget. I don't intend to have to keep paying for replacement parts. So yes unbreakable is what i need.

The pair of axles, with tyres will probably weigh around 900kg gives me over a ton for cage chassis engine drivetrain and winches plus your odds and ends. I don't foresee a problem.

Looking cool, what sort of money are these? It would be interesting to see if the unsprung weight affects Cog for the better.

At least you can drop the clutch on the govener without fear. And with that carrying capacity make a blueband hay rack and feed the sheepys compsafari style with a big Heston on the back :)

Will.